German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figure as GSD lovers we are all dog hair experts lol. I have a robotic vacuum that runs daily, vacuum weekly with the big vacuum and have a stick vacuum that I can use to quickly go around the house. I try to keep on top of brushing and also have a high velocity pet dryer to use on Whiskey, and sometimes he gets vacuumed as well lol. Even so, hair tumbleweeds are a part of life, I live with it lol

It's the laundry that I'm sick of. My new washing machine doesn't have an agitator in it and it's been a nightmare. I swear clothing is coming out of the dryer with more hair on it than it had on it when it went in!! I'm at the point of lint rolling the hair magnet clothing before I put it away. I never had this much of a problem with my old washer, and man do I miss that agitator.

I've seen lots of things advertised to get the hair off of clothes that you can toss in your washer and dryer, but most of the reviews say they don't work. So has anyone found anything that does help?

·
Registered
703 Posts
great picture!

I'll post a pic of my hair problem but I can tell you I also have a washer without an agitator, doesn't seem to make a difference. The hair is hard on the dryer and you do have to pull it out, disconnect the hose and clear it every few months. I bought a special brush that goes all the way down in the lint filter and pulls a lot out, too. (amazon) I use fabric softener sheets to loosen the hair. It also helps to clean out the outside vent, stuff gets gummed up in/on it, too. And poor Roomba has panic attacks occasionally. Mostly it's the dog hair in the food that drives me crazy even though everyone knows it makes anything taste better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Poor dog he gets blamed for all the hair but he is also a LH and I see you have 2 cats which IMO shed more then a GSD.
part of owning a long hair and 2 cats is hair hair and more hair. It will never go away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great picture!

I'll post a pic of my hair problem but I can tell you I also have a washer without an agitator, doesn't seem to make a difference. The hair is hard on the dryer and you do have to pull it out, disconnect the hose and clear it every few months. I bought a special brush that goes all the way down in the lint filter and pulls a lot out, too. (amazon) I use fabric softener sheets to loosen the hair. It also helps to clean out the outside vent, stuff gets gummed up in/on it, too. And poor Roomba has panic attacks occasionally. Mostly it's the dog hair in the food that drives me crazy even though everyone knows it makes anything taste better.
Oh gosh yep you understand! Looks like a similar hair type to Whisk too, it seems to weave into my clothing lol. I do use the bounce sheets and I checked the vent recently and it looks clear. That being said I have one of those brushes too, I should clean it out again and see if that's part of my issue. I've been mainly focused on the washer because with my old washer clothes never came out full of hair and now they do, but if I can get the dryer to work better that'll help!!

Best tip?
Don't get a GSD!
More issues with the fuzzy tumbleweeds than actual hair here
Tumbleweeds are common here too, I just vacuumed a few up on my lunch break haha. Luckily for my animals I love them more than I hate the hair.... But I know I've officially lost my sanity since I'm getting a GSD pup in the spring LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor dog he gets blamed for all the hair but he is also a LH and I see you have 2 cats which IMO shed more then a GSD.
part of owning a long hair and 2 cats is hair hair and more hair. It will never go away.
Oh the cats are horrible too. But Whisk's long hairs are typically what I'm pulling off my clothing haha. With so many animals hair is definitely a part of life, I'm just hoping to find some laundry hacks to help manage it, I'm cursing myself for leaving the old washer behind at my last house haha

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I think Bounce makes a dryer sheet to help keep off pet hair. I’m lucky Ozzy does not shed much and I brush him like once every 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Bounce makes a dryer sheet to help keep off pet hair. I’m lucky Ozzy does not shed much and I brush him like once every 2-3 weeks.
Do they?!?! That could be a game changer, I'll look for them. Thanks for the tip!!!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
You're outnumbered! Any chance of returning your new washer to the supplier and getting an exchange with one with an agitator?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're outnumbered! Any chance of returning your new washer to the supplier and getting an exchange with one with an agitator?
Unfortunately not, my "new" washer and dryer are still used. When I moved into this place they were newer than the ones I had so I left the old ones at the old house.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An update in case anyone else is dealing with this! I bought a set of 6 wool dryer balls and they definitely cut down on some of the hair.

Then the Furzapper ended up going on sale on Amazon so I bought a two pack.

I've been using 2 Furzappers in both the washer and dryer and all 6 dryer balls in the dryer. I did some laundry last night and there's one particular shirt that is such a hair magnet that I usually lint roll it immediately after it comes out of the dryer... It came out with hardly any hair on it! Very impressed!

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
I dog beds to the laundromat. I can’t clog up my plumbing anymore. I started line drying last spring and I like it so much I may never use a dryer again, unless I visit the laundromat so I’m not bringing home wet clothes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts