German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog, Conrad is about 11 mos now. One month ago he developed Pano, as I was told by the vet. He prescribed an anti-inflamatory and Conrad is back to his normal puppy self. I am feeding him Purina puppy chow still but am now realizing maybe I should switch to a raw diet.

He is now just finished with his 10 day medication stint and seems back to normal...except for that now he will stare at the first couple of steps before advancing to walk up. And not only that but he seems to decide to run up so as to make the "hop" motion where both rear legs move together as opposed to alternating steps. I feel as if he can only make the move up the steps if he runs them. He also has the "puppy sit" where the right rear leg swings out. I am worried mostly about the stair thing as he is not OFA'd (although a reputable breeder) and has not had X-rays yet. I do have insurance as the Pano thing scared me. Should I get his hips X-rayed because of the stair thing? What does the Prelim OFA test I am hearing about cost generally? I am broke but love my dog and will find a way if it is resonable to do so. Thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Prelims are about $30 for them to read. Whatever the vet costs for the xray will be over that.
With the symptoms you are describing, I would opt for the xrays. He sounds to be having some HD symptoms, the bunny hop when they run and the funny sit. Hesitating climbing stairs.
Have xrays done by a good vet, the hips might be great and no problems, or something might show up. Either way, you will know how to proceed if there is a problem, or to look for some other reason if the hips look ok.
Most vets can read an xray and give a diagnosis if it is good or bad. The in-between xrays are the questionable ones, they can be sent for OFA prelim or not, both you and vet can decide that.
I would have hip xrays done to know exactly what you are dealing with if anything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts