German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog had the GDV surgery three weeks ago and continues to be loosing weight, he is now at a unhealthy weight. The vet sent me home with a dewormer since I am maxed out on vet bills and cant afford to do any more blood work.Has anyone had this surgery and did there dog loose weight? I am scared he may have EPI now

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
My boy had a terrible time gaining weight after his GDV surgery. I did add enzymes, and they helped some, and so did probiotics, but my dog that should have been 80 pounds stayed at about 65-78 pounds until I put him on doxycycline for a different issue. Very quickly after that he put on 10 pounds. For my boy, it wasn't so much epi, but sibo related. Tylan didn't seem to help him a lot, but the doxycycline did (he also had tick issues I think). With both meds, I had to experiment on my own.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes his spleen is still in tact, I got him to the vet in time before his stomach actually twisted. I had him tested for EPI four years ago and everything was normal, I told the vet I dont have money to research it at the time considering the bill was outrageous. She told me to feed him three times a day and she gave me a dewormer. The weird thing is that he is ravenous, no diarrhea, no throwing up, yet sleeping allot. I think he is still recovering even though its been a month. If anyone has any food advice that would put some weight on him please tell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts