German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see tons of cool stuff manufactured in the uk, can't imagine what it would cost to ship here...

I saw someone at a tracking clinic who had a wire barrier so they could leave the tailgate up. It locked and everything. I also saw window mesh so windows could be open but dog could not escape.

I have a pickup with cap and am trying to find something so dog could be loose in the cap with back open for air. Has to be lockable.

Right now I crate dog and the crate is attached to truck sith a bike lock and padlock on crate. Paranoid someone might try to steal the dog. Won't even leave alone in car at all in one nearby town where crime is worse.

Anyone know of a manufacturer in the states?

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I stick with a lockable aluminum crate that cannot be removed if the tailgate is locked. (it is on a platform). I don't want a dog loose in the back if there was an accident even with the camper shell. He would bounce around like a pinball.........

But since you asked. A teammate has their screens for her sedan and I recall they make them for trucks as well

https://www.facebook.com/BreezeguardScreens/

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So when I am driving he is in the cab with me. Unless I take them both and then she is in the cab with me and he is crated in the back. I have had him loose back there but he actually seems happier crated, I think he feels more secure like he has something to lean on.

The thing is, his crate is a little too small for him and I hate leaving him in there for too long, so this is really more of a fix for if we are at an event or something and he just has to hang out for awhile.

It also crossed my mind to use a guard AND a crate to prevent anyone from being able to feed him if they see him in there.

I think a Dane crate would fit in the back, maybe I should just get one of those and keep it in there. It is nice to be able to keep him out of stuff that is in the back, I have driven home with him crated in the back with groceries. Not too sure he wouldn't have a party back there if he were loose with the groceries lol.

We are getting to the point with weather that I have to park in the shade and leave the tail gate open or he can't come.

Just kicking around options. We are 30 mins to civilization in any direction so if I can combine training ad errands it helps a lot but then he has to sit and wait.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I use 12 volt fans to keep air moving. (not the little crate fans but the o2 cool and some use endless breeze) We often don't have shade to park in but I can keep it as good as the outside.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for those suggestions, he does have a crate fan but I don't think it does him much good. That might be the best upgrade to start with, a better crate fan. Do they plug into the cigarette lighter or...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts