German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Too much experience, I'm afraid; my condolences on the loss to your family. Each dog was different in how s/he grieved a loss, but they all grieved. Some seemed to grieve for a moment and then just 'move on.' Others took longer. The worst (for me) was my old guy Gunner who never recovered from the sudden loss of his big sister. For months, he lay by the back door which was where he last saw her. I kept to our regular routine, but he never regained the Happy Warrior persona that he'd had before. Even a new companion (Rachel) did little.

Keep to your regular routine, but I'd also try some new/novel activities. Anything that perks his interest. Most importantly, give it time. These are sentient creatures that we live with.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I’m so sorry you lost your dog suddenly. Sometimes there is nothing that can be done. I lost an older dog 4 years ago and my female grieved so badly, I got a puppy two months later. It gave her new life. I got her out a lot and exercised her and kept her tired, but she was still moping around.

If money is tight or you don’t want to deal with another puppy, consider fostering with first choice to adopt if you want to keep him. Then you can test out a new dog with your other one and see how well they get along. You want a dog he will bond with but you also want the right dog for you and your family.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey all he is getting better. Not completely recovered. Still being a bit mopey understandably. He started having eating issues but seems to be doing better lately. If we fed them one at a time they would save food for each other so maybe that's what's been going on. Just weird it took a month to manifest. I have two breeders I've been talking with who have pups coming soonish. One just had a litter and another just finished a breeding. So hopefully we will have another companion soon. It's not as soon as I would like but maybe we need the time. Our boxer Frey is still very missed and I'm sure he will always be. And I guess it was a bit traumatic having him go the way he did and not being able to save him despite my best efforts. Keep beating myself up about it with what ifs, but I'm sure that will pass. It's been a hard time for all of us. You expect them to leave you but never so soon like that. Money is no longer an issue for us and we are doing quite well. Hopefully things will turn around for us soon enough. Thank you all for the information and support. It is very appreciated.

·
Registered
421 Posts
So hopefully we will have another companion soon.

Money is no longer an issue for us and we are doing quite well. Hopefully things will turn around for us soon enough.
Ah Herby, that is good news and your update is greatly appreciated. If you have time, please post pics and updates when you get your new buddy.

I guess it was a bit traumatic having him go the way he did and not being able to save him despite my best efforts. Keep beating myself up about it with what ifs
When a dog drops dead like that there is nothing you or anyone could have done. It's not like bloat where you can rush the dog to the vet and probably save him. I've been through this with GSDs. One was a puppy with a severe heart defect that we took in so he could have a happy home life instead of living in a kennel. He dropped dead at 8 months but we knew it was going to happen. It hurt, but he was such a joyful dog and we are so grateful that we had him. The others were GSDs with hemangiosarcoma, a terrible cancer that you usually find out about when internal tumors start to bleed out and the dog collapses.

Carry on, and God bless you and your family.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ah Herby, that is good news and your update is greatly appreciated. If you have time, please post pics and updates when you get your new buddy.
Another update is that we have secured and put a deposit down for a pup from the breeder that already had a litter. it's a was a co-breed by two reputable breeders in my province. There's two brindles, we have expressed our interested in the plain brindle over the flashy brindle but time and the breeder will decide which pup we get based on my description of our home and lifestyle. The reason I say the colour is because Frey was fawn so a change in colour should make things easier as I don't want to expect a new dog to be my beloved Frey if that makes sense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey all, We got our boxer pup a month and a half ago. We've named him Loki.

Tyr has made an almost full recovery and is pretty well back to his old self. Eating all his food again. He still stops and stares at Frey's pictures here and there and goes in for a sniff. But maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see.

They get along great for the most part. Loki wants to cuddle Tyr, Tyr does not want to cuddle Loki haha. For the most part anyways. He will on his own terms. And after getting yelled at a couple times, Tyr stopped rolling Loki in the backyard, and they play well together.

It's been a hard few months and I still think of Frey daily. But things are coming around. It may not be a "happy" ending. But it's the one we get. Loki is making a wonderful addition to our little "family" and Tyr is happy to have him.

I'm not the picture taker in the house, so I'll have to credit my lovely girlfriend for these.

Thank you all for your support and advice. It is and was much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bravo Herby, and thank you so much for the wonderful pics! Your Mali Tyr is clearly an exceptionally fine dog and he sure does look pleased with his new buddy. If you have time, please continue to post updates and pics. They are greatly appreciated.

Make sure you're not feeding one of the foods responsible for dogs coming down with "Nutritional DCM", if you haven't done so.
That is an excellent point. Was Frey on any kind of grain-free diet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks all.

I will try to continue posting pics as things progress.

Frey was on a raw diet which we balanced at home. Blood work I had done before Frey passed showed everything at normal levels but perhaps that's not enough to indicate anything. Our raw doesn't include any lentils and chick peas, Just chicken with bone, beef liver, celery, carrots and broccoli. We add fish as well and the occasional raw egg, sometimes some home made beef broth and rice. They also got scraps and treats as well we use some decent quality kibble as training treats. Although the kibble we were using may not be good for them as previously thought. So they weren't completely grain free or anything.

I'll have to do some reading perhaps and look into it more. I'll start with the article Heidigsd linked.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Omg AMAZING pics!!!! i can’t take that amount of cuteness!

Also, so sorry so many people here got so up in arms because you said pouting. I knew what you meant!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts