German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
way back in the 90's my schnauzer/scottie mix went everywhere a single girl could go.
Upon marrying and adding a Doberman to the family, things changed.
We took separate trips, because. The Doberman didn't travel well.

Well now we want to do things different with our GSD.

Please share places you've vacationed with your pets.
How did they like it? How did you like it?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
We have not traveled overnight with Molly, except to my mother's, not because I don't want to, but my husband and daughter are home bodies and I can't them to venture out. With our old dog, we often stayed at Marriott or La quinta hotels. I am not a camper, and since i don't often get to vacation, when I do I like to stay at someplace nice. We took her to Disneyland in CA, and Ventura area. I was hoping to go to Big Sur, but oddly not dog friendly where 45 minutes north in Carmel, CA it is totally dog friendly.

Too bad you did not live on the west coast. There is a great resources in Sunset magazine about the 15 best places to vacation with your dog, from AZ to CA to WA.
I used to look at Dogfriendly.com as a resource, but find it is getting out dated. Yelp seems to have better and newer resources.

Let us know where, what state you'd like to travel to, maybe a local person can direct to dog friendly cities.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I haven't gone on vacation with Titan yet but I have traveled with him between moves. However we are taking a trip up to Gatlinberg, TN this fall, and while I am not taking Titan, I came across a large amount of pet friendly cabins and resorts. Check it out.. here are some sites we used to search..

Gatlinburg Cabins from $108.00 - Vacation Rentals and Cabin Rentals in Gatlinburg, TN | FlipKey

Gatlinburg Cabins - Tennessee Cabin Rentals in Gatlinburg Tennessee Pigeon Forge TN

Gatlinburg Cabin Rentals - Cabins in Gatlinburg, Tennessee - Jackson Mountain Homes

I have read great reviews on the cabins there and the pet friendly environment. I have also been able to take Titan to the Shareton Hotels when traveling. They have always been awesome about him being there. Most places will allow you dogs if they are well trained so that helps.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We recently took Mia on her first vacation, drove straight from DFW up to Minnesota to visit family. She did great on the 17 hour car ride.

We rented out a small cabin and she loved it. She tends to bark occasionally at home at weird noises and we were afraid she would bark non-stop in a new location at night, but she was quiet as could be. Minus one 'poo in the fireplace' incident, it was a wonderful experience for all involved, and we are really looking forward to taking her on another vacation soon.

And since we are in the same area - When I was younger we had two other dogs and we took them down to Galveston several times. You can find reasonable, dog-friendly houses to rent. They loved it.

Also, Caddo lake is fun for taking them camping.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I love to rent ocean cabins or go to quaint tourist towns with my dogs--but in the off-season. I don't like to take them places in the summer because of the crowds and the heat. Dogs aren't usually allowed in vacation rooms unattended so going out for a nice dinner is a problem if they have to stay in a hot car.

One thing that I have noticed is that dogs are usually permitted in low end and high end properties--not so much in the average price places. This is my personal experience but when I'm looking for a dog friendly rental, I tend to look at both ends of the spectrum for deals. There are cheap, shabby places that can be great for dogs or luxurious resorts where every room is dog-friendly for a hefty pet fee.

My dogs are better behaved on vacation than at home. I'm not sure if it's because they don't have the same triggers--mailman, UPS guy, neighbor cat-or if they don't have the territorial instinct.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Camping and cottages are great places to relax with land that the dogs can enjoy as well. We just got back a few days ago from a week long stay at a cottage, it had a large deck with a gate so the dogs could relax and still be safe. It was right on the water so if it wasn't so weedy they could have been swimming and a large yard to toss balls around in, I brought a 50' line and both dogs had a blast.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
We did a VRBO instead of a cabin and got an older home with 40 acres. The dogs loved it because we could do morning and evening ball and offlead walks. It was not more expensive than a newer cabin and while we did not have a vista, we were on a hill in a valley with views of the surrounding mountains.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Another vote for VRBO my husband found a cottage on a lake that allowed a dog. Since I didn't know what to expect we went last year without the dog. I kept saying I wish we took the dog. So this year we went back and brought Lakota. She was so good but it limited what we could do and I always had to keep and eye on her.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Get a camper and you never have to worry about where to stay you go where ever you want and at the end of the day no one can tell you, you are not permitted dogs and further you dont have to pay ridiculous fee's.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great responses!
I like the idea of off season trips.
We have been to Arkansas, and Oklahoma, always thinking," we should have brought the dogs"

Maybe now we can!! Galveston sounds good.
We are in Central Texas, Dallas area.
I have gone on line and found great cottages on lakes in Oklahoma.
pretty low to mid range price.
thanks!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Nantucket! I LOVE Nantucket. It is a glorious place to bring dogs. As long as you have good voice control, you can take them all over the island. Here are some pictures from our most recent trip:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/306170-dog-mob-vacation.html

Lake Placid NY is also really nice. It is tougher to do much hiking there in the winter though because they won't let you on the trails without snowshoes or cross-country skis. But even so, it's a nice place to go with dogs. We rented a cottage and went skiing all day, then took the dogs out on hiking trails in the early evening or when our sad achy muscles needed a day off from skiing.

I'm thinking about trying Vermont this winter, I've heard good things about dog-friendly options.

The Outer Banks are another place I've heard good things about, but we haven't been there yet either.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Canine Camp Getaway is without a doubt the place I'd like to vacation the most with my dogs. I'd really love to go back to Montana/Yellowstone/Glacier, but they are just not at all dog friendly. But this place... wow- looks insanely fun.

Canine Camp Getaway - The Dog Friendly Vacation!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Canine Camp Getaway is without a doubt the place I'd like to vacation the most with my dogs. I'd really love to go back to Montana/Yellowstone/Glacier, but they are just not at all dog friendly. But this place... wow- looks insanely fun.

Canine Camp Getaway - The Dog Friendly Vacation!
Oh, now that looks REALLY fun! I would love to give that a try.

Glen Highland Farm (also in upstate NY) has something very similar: CAMP for DOGS. I've never been, but one of my friends goes every summer with her crew. She says it's great, especially for agility dogs.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Hahaha- that's funny. I couldn't remember what the place was called, so I was googling around to find it. Turns out- Glen Highland Farm was actually the one I was looking for. I'm not sure about the one I linked to, but Glen Highland Farm specifically states that dogs are off lead. Sounds great!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Supposedly Glen Highland is the awesomest of awesome times if you want a combination vacation and agility handling workshop. I fear the latter part of that would be wasted on us, but I bet you'd have fun. ;)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I just think that, in general, I couldn't think of a better vacation time with my dog than at a place like that. Taking them to historic places and such just doesn't seem like it'd be fun at all for the dog. A place where they can run, play, be free-- all day long-- sounds incredible.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts