German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're thinking about driving to Oregon sometime this summer to visit my in-laws and we're planning on bringing Heidi with us. We found a nice dog-friendly hotel in Ashland, but I wasn't able to find any dog-friendly restaurants or cafes when I looked online. I'd also like to find a nice place to hike in or real close to Ashland.

We're going to be in Florence and the Willamette Valley, and any tips on restaurants, hiking, beaches, and wineries that are dog-friendly would be greatly appreciated! This will be our first trip with Heidi, so I'm a little nervous!

·
Super Moderator
32,021 Posts
We drove up to Oregon and Washington with Dena 3 years ago, and it was a lot of fun. My hubby has family up there, and we drove up the coast, stopping the first night at a Best Western right on the beach in Brookings Oregon. There was a sign saying dogs had to be on leash that we didn't see until we were getting ready to leave. We had her off leash, and nobody bugged us.

This was our hotel:

It wasn't fancy, but it was fairly new, very clean, and the room was pretty big. Their only requirement regarding dogs was that they were on the first floor - no size or breed restrictions, and no additional fee. I think most of the Best Western chain allows dogs. We also found a really nice place to stay on the way home that was right on the Willamette River in Eugene, the Valley River Inn. We could open our sliding glass door and the river was right there outside our room.

We continued up the coast to Tom's aunt & uncle's beach house. I can't remember the name of the town it was near, but pretty much directly west of Tillamook. We went to a beach known as Hundred Steps Beach (might not be the official name) due to the steps you go down and back up to get to the beach. It was practically deserted, and had lots of cool tidepools:

I think a lot of the beaches are on leash only, but we didn't worry about that if there was nobody around. I don't know of any restaurants to eat with dogs, check with your in-laws about any places that have outdoor seating. Often it's cool enough that you can leave a dog in the car with the windows down a few inches and it's fine. As far as wineries, just ask. A lot of places don't have a policy one way or the other, but don't mind well behaved dogs. We were up there on Memorial Day weekend, which is a big weekend where a lot of wineries that are not open to the public for tasting have an open house, so everywhere we went was very crowded. We would take turns sitting outside and ferrying glasses back and forth, and nobody minded. If it were less crowded I would have asked about bringing Dena in.

We have brought the dogs winetasting in Sonoma County and the Mendocino area, and many places are very accommodating. One winery practically insisted we bring the dogs in, and another had a sign on the door that dogs were not allowed in the tasting room, but that people with dogs were welcome to enjoy tastings outside, so again we took turns bringing the glasses inside for refills. I figure it never hurts to ask, all they can do is say no! And as long as she's well behaved and there aren't a lot of other people there, they may not mind a bit.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Florence is on the Ocean. The beaches in Oregon are all public beaches (I love that about Oregon! Not a private beach in the state!) And yes, you can take your dog on all of them the last I knew (OK it's been what 15 years?) Take a long line in case someone objects to her being off lead. Watch out for storms and watch out for the tide. Native NWerner here got caught out on a point with incoming tide and two dogs.. We got in OK but it was too close. If you want to swim in the ocean bring a wetsuit.
As far as hiking, look for forest service or BLM land around Ashland. There's probably a nearby state or county park too. Generally, dogs can go most places so long as they are on lead. Some of the parks (Silver Creek Falls) now have restrictions. Minto Brown in Salem has a dog area where your dog can be off lead and lots of walking trails. Going further north in the valley just north of Salem there is Willamette MIssion State Park. Don't tell them I said so but you can sneak the lead off your dog in some parts of this park and walk down along the Willamette (It's Will am et ) River where she can swim safely. Lots of fleas, no ticks. There's probably a state park at Florence. The state is covered with state parks. I think the entire coast line is one state park or another state park. Directly in Salem there's Bush's Pasture Park or Bush Park. They have a large off lead area for dogs and dogs pretty much run around off lead through this large park too.

I haven't been on the coast in years. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info! I'm really looking forward to going. I read that some of the wineries will let you bring your dog (including one of my favorites, King Estates). Should be a fun trip! Hopefully, Heidi won't be too anxious. She gets very impatient and a little upset if we're away from our house too long (she feels that she must be on squirrel patrol at all times!) So, this will be her first test of how she does on a short (5-day) trip.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What great pictures! I sure wish Heidi took to the water like your two do. She doesn't even like to get her paws wet in a mud puddle!

We'll probably go on another trip in the fall in Northern California. It sounds like they're very dog friendly there and it's especially nice that so many wineries welcome them too.

·
Super Moderator
32,021 Posts
Have a great trip! And if you head up Anderson Valley/Menodocino way I can make some winery suggestions, and a great place to stay. With pictures of course, lol!

·
Super Moderator
32,021 Posts
I wanted to mention too that we're doing a Bay Area meet on 6/21 at Fort Funston in SF. I don't know if that's something you and Heidi would be up for, there will be lots of other dogs there, and it's on the beach, but the tide should out so she could keep her feetsies dry.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We've been wanting to go to Fort Funston for quite some time now! We'll try and come if we can. It sounds like it would be a great time to go there.

Heidi can be a bit reactive with certain dogs (not so much with other GSDs, but she can be a bit temperamental at times), so I hope she doesn't embarrass us!

Thanks for letting me know about it!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I live in eastern OR and do not know where Ashland is but all of Oregon's beaches and state parks are dog friendly, just need to be leashed. All Super 8, Holiday Inn express, Choice hotels and Oxford Suites are dog friendly.

Enjoy your trip.

·
Super Moderator
6,270 Posts
Originally Posted By: KathyWI live in eastern OR and do not know where Ashland is but all of Oregon's beaches and state parks are dog friendly, just need to be leashed. All Super 8, Holiday Inn express, Choice hotels and Oxford Suites are dog friendly.

Enjoy your trip.
Ashland is a tiny (shakespeare) town just over the california border into oregon.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Karin, the more I read about your Heidi, the more I think she and Misha are long-lost sisters!!

I grew up in Grants Pass - you will go thru there if you are headed to the beach on hwy 199. It is BEAUTIFUL that way; I would highly recommend a stop at Smith River, and of course the Redwoods!

I'm getting kinda homesick right now....
HAVE FUN ON YOUR TRIP!!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted By: marylouKarin, the more I read about your Heidi, the more I think she and Misha are long-lost sisters!!
I know--they not only look alike but they act alike! Don't tell me Misha doesn't like the water either?!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I can't wait to go!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Karin, she HATES the water! We were out on a hike; I crossed a little creek (crossed over on a downed tree) and she ran back and forth on her side having a FIT! I kept calling her (it was *maybe* knee deep on her) - she took a flying leap to keep her feet out of it. silly pupper

If you ever get this far north, we really need to get them together ~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts