German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a little trip up north to the Tacoma/Seattle area and would love to visit a dog-friendly beach or other fun place for dogs. Are there any off leash beaches, lakes, etc? Or places that are isolated enough for a dog to run? Swimming/water is a plus. Any dog-friendly restaurants or parks you'd recommend?

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/city/tacoma_wa_us/
I'm not sure if you've seen this yet^^^. I've taken my dogs over there, but I can't remember what the name of the place was. I really liked the beaches along the coast. We would take our dogs out early in the morning and the beach would be empty. They ran into the ocean and got their first taste of sea water, the thought still cracks me up!

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is a beach in Edmonds (north of Seattle) that is dog friendly. You do have to watch the tides though because there are sharp rocks at low tide. Off Leash Area Edmonds - OLAE!

Magnuson Park in Seattle has a dog friendly section. http://www.seattle.gov/parks/offleash_detail.asp?id=398

Marymoor Park has a huge off leash section that has the Sammamish River flowing through it. Sometimes river access is closed due to the salmon running but it still might be a little early for that. Off Leash

I personally have not been to Magnuson but I keep hearing great things about it. I have been to both of the other two and have enjoyed them.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas and links! Last year we took her to the Oregon coast and had a BLAST. I am pretty familiar with northern Oregon beaches but never have visited the Puget Sound area except going to Seattle to the Children's hospital, or to the 2 zoos.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I will continue to try to think of other places in the Seattle area. I also have a book on dog friendly stuff in the Puget Sound area that I will take a look through (hopefully tomorrow) and let you know anything promising that I see in there.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will continue to try to think of other places in the Seattle area. I also have a book on dog friendly stuff in the Puget Sound area that I will take a look through (hopefully tomorrow) and let you know anything promising that I see in there.
Thanks! I really appreciate that! Saber thanks you :)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Sunnyside Beach Park is a nice place in Steilacoom, just east of Tacoma on the Sound.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I used to go to Magnuson park all the time before I had dogs. I remember it had a nice big dog park.

It is also adjacent to NOAA to the north, and there is a small gate down near the lake where you could walk over into the NOAA property and walk on the paths and see the art. One of the nearby "sculptures" is call "Sound Garden", it makes sounds when the wind blows. And you might have already guessed, a band named themselves after it.

During heightened security after September 2011, sometimes the gate would be chained, so I don't know if that is still the case. Leash your dogs if you walk over there, though.

Here is a link to a map of the park and access to Lake Washington.

http://www.seattle.gov/parks/offleash_detail.asp?id=398

1 - 9 of 9 Posts