German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a sign of HD???

Phenix's foot are not 100% straight, means they are pointing out a little bit, both in front and rear. Does that mean he start having HD problems??

Everytime I go to the vet, she always tell me that Pheni's hips are very nice and I don't need to worry, but no X-Ray have ever been taken.

I notice this on horses too...their foot are not 100% straight....but I just want to be sure it is not a sign of HD....Thank you!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
That was the illustration that came up in a quick search. Of course they arent comparable but cow hocked is cow hocked, kwim? It would be the same was in a GS as it is in a bulldog, a bulldog is just shorter and pudgier lol

·
Registered
32,001 Posts
Have you thought about ED rather than HD?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh's left front foot is turned out a bit and the muscle mass in that shoulder was less than the other side. But with lots of exercise he's gained muscle and the foot is straighter. Doesn't seem to have affected him at all but he's still a puppy. When he's anesthetized for his neutering, the vet is taking hip and elbow xrays and another of his heart so we'll see how his shoulder joint looks. If your vet says don't worry, try not to or have xrays done

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Many dogs toe out (referred to as "east/west"), particularly in the front. It is undesireable from a structure and movement perspective, but completely unrelated to dysplasia and is certainly not a symptom of dysplasia.

If you're concerned about HD or ED, get some x-rays done so you can know for certain. But a dog standing a bit east/west, especially if balanced in that regard (both sides doing it, not just one) is nothing to worry about. :)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My dog toes out in the front, doesn't seem to bother her. She was normal as a young pup then became more paddle-footed as she grew. Now she is starting to straighten out somewhat as she matures at 15 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts