German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently feeding my GSD Fromm Gold adult formula. So far he has done well on it, no complaints. I have noticed Beau's plaque has increased. He does get sterilized bones and occasionally raw bones. He is not big into the bones. My field golden retrievers have done great on the Fromm with no dental problems although I notice they love to chew on their bones.

Anyone have suggestions for dog food? Beau does not have any allergies or food restrictions. I have considered putting him on TOTW.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that I also supplement his kibble with cottage cheese, eggs, sardines, yogurt, and occasionally cooked beef liver.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I like Acana grain-free personally. My dog eats Acana Pacifica and loves it. Plus the added fish oils from a fish based diet do wonders for his coat IMO.

Fromm is a pretty good food from what I know, why switch if he is doing well on it if you dont mind me asking?

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
It's a myth that kibble will clean teeth. Switching brands wont do much, it's not like your switching from something like Beneful that contains sugar as an actual ingredient to something better. I'd recommend you actually BRUSH the teeth at least 2-3x a week if not daily. This is the only thing that will truly prevent your pup from suffering dental disease. (Which statistics show over 80% of dogs over the age of 3 have dental diseases)

If it's anymore encouragement, that plague on her teeth, no matter how small it seems now is constantly harvesting more and more bacteria. This bacteria gets into the bloodstream and travels it's way through the body including to major organs such as the kidneys, liver, heart, ect and makes it's self at home. This poses a huge health risk for your dogs!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like Acana grain-free personally. My dog eats Acana Pacifica and loves it. Plus the added fish oils from a fish based diet do wonders for his coat IMO.

Fromm is a pretty good food from what I know, why switch if he is doing well on it if you dont mind me asking?
He has done well on it, but he has also done well on other foods too. He is an easy keeper and doesn't seem to have a sensitive stomach. Previously I fed him Innova Evo which had larger kibble and his plaque was never like this.

He does get regular teeth brushings but the tartar is building up. I will get him in for a teeth cleaning. I just do not want him to end up with dental problems when he is older.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It is so good you really can't call it a dog food, it's more like Dog Cuisine...Back to Basics Grain Free Pork formula.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Brush your dogs teeth at least 2-3 times a week like the post earlier says!!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Def get him in for a cleaning if at all possible for a clean start. Try to brush his teeth daily too. You might also want to try a dental rinse that you add to his water. My girl came back to me after nearly 3 months of staying with my mom and her teeth were raunchy. She's 13 so a dental isn't an option, a mixture of raw bones, brushing her teeth a couple times a week and using Nutri-Vet Dental Rinse in her water each day has made a HUGE difference. I got a big 32oz bottle for only like $10 at Petsmart. You only need 1 capful for every 8oz of water. (Which a capful is a very small amount) As long as she gets at least 8oz of water with a cap each day she should be good. How often do you give raw bones? Giving them 2-3x a week should really help the back teeth, a brush should get the whole mouth well and then a dental rinse would help protect the whole mouth as well. As for raw bones, pork feet always worked best for Chance. :thumbup:

Maybe switch back to the Innova too if it was working for him?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I would use the enzyme toothpastes but cut a plain green scotch brite pad into strips and use that instead of a brush.

You might also try a food with sodium hexametaphosphate for a few months. That will certainly help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts