German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have to switch dog foods, Rocky just doesn't like Earthborne. He will only eat it if I put something he likes on top of it, if not he will just let it sit there all day. I am trying to find a decent food at a reasonable cost, but every time I think I have found one, I read about something wrong with it. I looked at the Diamond Naturals and Kirkland, but the protein seemed low. Then, I was excited about Taste of the Wild till I read "a lot of dogs" are getting sick on it. I don't know how true this is, but it scares me.

I pay about $50 for a 28 pound bag of Earthborne and would like to find a decent dog food in the same price range or a little less. Any opinions would be welcome and if someone can suggest a reputable trustworthy website for dog food ratings, I would love to see it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Have you considered making homemade bone broth and use that as a topper? Sorry don't know much about kibble.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
We don't currently feed Victor, but we had zero problems with it when we did. It is pretty reasonably priced.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree on Victor. I have two dogs, my Gf's Heeler/Aussie mix and my GSD mix. Mine eats the ultra pro and hers eats the yukon salmon. There are even cheaper quality options from the brand like the high pro plus. They both love it. That is the most reasonably priced quality food I have come to find. Great stools, shiny coats etc. ACANA is another great option that our dogs seemed to love. We rotate and mix the two. Give one of those a shot.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I feed Victor, with some watered down Honest Kitchen as a topper. All my dogs will all eat the Victor even without the add ins.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
I feed Fromm the four star grain free and add different toppers. Max loves the food will eat it plain. Luna taught us to add things to her food lol! We add the Stella and chewies dehydrated beef patties or the primal. Sometimes a raw egg or plain yogurt or goats milk, or the honest kitchen bone broth - it does change it up.They are doing great on it coats are much shinier and softer then on Fromm large breed puppy. Our chihuahuas coat made incredible difference from switching from wellness to Fromm. I’m looking for a food to rotate -there is rawz which I believe is fairly new -which I’m not a big fan of grains or potatoes even for myself -but hard to find. I want to see if my store will order it just to try.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I like Purina feeds, although its not cool. I really like the nutritional science behind them. My old horse lived 40 years on Purina Horse chow. It's dog foods not made with people grade food but dogs are scavengers. The main ingredient in Purina One is chicken. It is always fresh, unlike others, because it is sold out of grocery stores and so popular it does not sit on the self for long. I raised Inga on Purina one large breed puppy and now she eats Purina one large breed. 31 lbs bag costs $28.99 in Texas. Inga is in splendid health, good condition with shiney hair coat. She gobbles it up with just a little hot water on it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If your dog does well on the food that's really all that matters.

For what it's worth, though, the Purina that makes animal feed, like the horse food, is a completely different company than the Purina that makes dog and cat food. Purina is owned by Nestlé, they make dog and cat food. Purina Mills is owned by Land o Lakes, they make animal feed... The company split many years ago.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If your dog does well on the food that's really all that matters.

For what it's worth, though, the Purina that makes animal feed, like the horse food, is a completely different company than the Purina that makes dog and cat food. Purina is owned by Nestlé, they make dog and cat food. Purina Mills is owned by Land o Lakes, they make animal feed... The company split many years ago.
I am aware of that, thanks. Mmmm Nestle's cocoa mix, Land O lakes butter. Both companys still have good nutritional science. Heck, if they made Purina Human Chow I would eat it. They do make monkey bisquits.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dog likes the Nutro Wholesome Essentials Large Breed Puppy Pasture Fed Lamb and Rice recipe. 30 Lb. Bag is $50 from Chewy on autoship.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lightning seems to love the Nutro Large Breed Puppy Lamb and Rice food. He has been on it since he went to his foster home before I adopted him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts