German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this topic has been gone over again and again, BUT, I need help deciding on what to feed my GSD. She will be 15wks on 4/4/13. The breeder had her on Iams Large breed puppy food and after getting her at 8wks I switched her to TOTW with no problems until recently. Two weeks ago she began to have diarrhea and our vet after 48 hrs and some flagyl, suggested we put her on Hills i/d to see if that cleared up the diarrhea which it did. She does not suggest keeping her on Hills because of cost and poor nutritional value so I have been looking around for other good quality foods. I believe that maybe TOTW was to rich for her. I am currently going between these four brands Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy, Innova Puppy, Nutro Natural Choice, and California Natural Puppy Food. All have their pros and cons. I recently discovered California Natural as an alternative to Hills i/d but it is supposed to be MUCH better than Hills. I have heard it is made with more digestible ingredients like Hills. I am not really sure which way to go! any help would be great!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
California Natural & Innova got recalled

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
California Natural only had the kangaroo formula recalled. Does that sound right? and Innova looks like just the turkey formula. It doesnt look like it includes the chicken formula. California Natural was more or less the way I was leaning, but now I am not sure :confused: I like TOTW but it just seems to be to rich for her.. urgh

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At this point and after some research here and online I am thinking of going with Fromm. It seems to be a great food. No recalls and I haven't heard of many people having problems on it! Now lets see if her belly agrees! It is a good things we love this breed so much because sometimes they sure can be a pain! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I was very pleased with the Fromm; my breeder sent her pups home with it. Many dogs here have done well with it. You can, however, also get the runs from overfeeding.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was very pleased with the Fromm; my breeder sent her pups home with it. Many dogs here have done well with it. You can, however, also get the runs from overfeeding.
She gets fed twice a day at 1.5 cups morning and night. I wasent thinking that was to much thats seems to be about the normal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A couple brands that I would recommend looking into would be Merrick, Orijen, Acana, Back to Basics and ZiwiPeak. A cheaper alternative would be 4Health Chicken and Rice or 4Health Performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts