German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about all these great dog foods in the forums, such as blue buffalo, orijen, but unfortunately I cannot buy them because I don't live in the US. I am from Brazil and the best dog food I can buy here are: Royal Canin, Eukanuba or Hills. In fact, all vets recommend these three, saying they are super premium and that they are the best of the best. Furthermore, they cost around $84 (US dollars) for a 12 kg pack, which I assume is pretty expensive. From what I read around, people in South Africa are in the same situation.

Now I know that these are not premium dog foods. The main ingredient is meat byproduct and the second is corn. Now I believe I have three options:

1) Continue to give these dog foods and deal with the consequences
2) Feed a natural diet, either BARF (which I am not fond of) or home cooked meals
3) Quit my job, start a (real) premium pet dog food company in Brazil that does not use byproducts and corn and become rich :)

Which do you think it is best? (The third one may not be very realistic)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i would see if i could have the food of my choice shipped from somewhere else and if i couldnt do that i would choose the Eukanuba or feed homecooked meals. best of luck.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'd go with the home cooked.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
If you HAVE to go with a kibble, try to find Hills (Science Diet) Natures Best formulas.

Natures Best Chicken & Rice
Chicken, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Cracked Pearled Barley, Soybean Meal, Chicken Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Whole Grain Oats, Apples, Cranberries, Soybean Oil, Peas, Carrots, Dried Beet Pulp, Iodized Salt, Flaxseed, Broccoli, Vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

compared to

Science Diet Large Breed
Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, Dried Chicken Cartilage, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, Potassium Chloride, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Biiiiig difference!!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Another option to look for is the Eukanuba Naturally Wild formulas if you can't get Natures Best.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
buy the best brand available and supplement
it with chicken, beef, veggies, fruit and fish. find
a good vitamin.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi! I have the exact same problem, I live in Mexico and all we have here is Pedigree and even worse food, plus Science diet and Royal Canin from the vets.

I'm kinda lucky to live near the border so I can go to the US and buy better food, not very often but at least I can do that. And yes, it's expensive!! Toll fees + gas + food cost + taxes = a lot of $$$$!!

Still, I think you might want to research raw diets, in my case it's the best option both for my dogs health and my wallet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the hints!

So, the Eukanuba and Hills brand only have their simplest (bad) formulas. I can't get Natures Best nor Eukanuba Naturally Wild.

The thing is, their marketing campaign was so good that they got everybody thinking that these are super premium dog foods. So it is not in their best interest to bring these better formulas, since it would just cannibalize their sales. It is kind of sad. On the other hand, I believe natural food such as fresh meat and vegetables are probably cheaper for us here than for you in the US.

I think I will have to get started with home cooked food. I didn't want to do that because my wife and I have full-time jobs. I will peruse the forum for some hints.

Thank you all for your replies!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Home cooking is a very good option or even raw foods.

While some may not like Eukanuba I personally would not discount it. We use it in rotation here, along with Purina Pro Plan and our dogs do good. Fortunately our dogs do not have any meat or grain allergies so this is a BIG Plus for us!

We do supplement with raw meaty bones (i.e. chicken quarters, legs, wings, chicken backs) and organs (i.e. chicken hearts).

You can of course give an exclusive raw diet too. Just like you would handle your own raw food, ensure proper cleanup and you will be fine.

When growing up our dogs ate Dog Chow mostly and we threw left overs on top - fat, green beans, a little cooked meat - that kind of stuff. They were outdoors so I'm sure a few rabbits went missing - we lived on a farm :)

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I'd imagine ordering food to Brazil would be VERY expensive. Especially a brand that already cost an arm and a leg like Orijen. -I- have plenty of sources for Orijen and wont feed it because I'm not paying nearly $90 (USD) for a 30lb bag of dog food AT THE STORE!!! That doesn't include any shipping prices!! (Especially to another COUNTRY!) My dogs have perfect bloodwork, stools, coats, eyes, ears, ect on Taste of the Wild ($43 for 30lb) and Wilderness. ($55 for 28lb bag though he's about to be switched to TOTW because OMG....Money is TIGHT and it's getting hard to afford. Better start taking my dogs away from my abusive home!! LOL) I highly doubt paying an extra $40-$50 is going to make already perfect health, that much better. ;)

If RAW/home cooked is an option, then I'd highly recommend that over any dog food. RAW is a lot quicker than cooking food when you're on a busy schedule. Lol!

If it's NOT an option, I'd recommend regular Eukanuba and supplement it with meat, eggs, yogurt, pureed veggies, ect. Raw meaty bones will also benefit your dogs dental health by helping keep tartar off the teeth! :) It wont be the end of the world for your dog if you have to feed it despite what many food nazis will tell you. :rolleyes: It may not be the highest quality food in the world, but when it is the highest quality in your country, you have to feed what is available and affordable. At least you care enough to find the best you can do and you're not sitting there feeding the cheapest thing you can get your hands on.

·
Registered
682 Posts
$90.00 Wow it must be more in the south. That is a crazy price for sure! I pay $57.50 for a 30lb bag from Pet Supplie Plus and that still is a bit high. But yes you are right you have to feed the dog so I guess just feed the best you can get your hands on.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Lol! For that price, I'd consider it. But for what it cost here?! Noooo. That would be a last resort for an allergy dog or something AFTER raw/homemade has been tried!! (Which would also cost half the price of Orijen here. Lol! I just don't have the space for it right now living with my mom and her boyfriend...)

Maybe it's cheaper there cause you're closer to Canada?!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
i would see if i could have the food of my choice shipped from somewhere else and if i couldnt do that i would choose the Eukanuba or feed homecooked meals. best of luck.

Trust me, you don't want to have dog food shipped internationally.

It's ridiculous.

I found orijen in Germany but I've paid over a hundred bucks for a 30 lbs bag worth of food.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, having dog food shipped internationally is complicated because of regulations, etc, apart from being extremely expensive.

So I have switched from Royal Canin to Eukanuba and that has been quite successful. He didn't eat royal canin at all, unless we mixed something of a very high value such as chicken liver or breast. Eukanuba at least he eats just the kibble. Also, just came back from the supermarket. We are trying our first home cooked dog meal, which we will mix with Eukanuba for now. Wish us luck!

ChancetheGSD: Yes, before I got my puppy I thought these people who spend so much money for the best food or cook food for dogs were over reacting! But once I got him, I realized it is my responsibility to give him the best that I can afford. Also, I want him to live healthily as long as possible, so let's see if he enjoys his home cooked meal!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
You may want to let him get used to one food before switching again or introducing a lot of change - could upset his stomach and potentially cause loose stool/digestive upset. If you add home cooked make it a small portion. Have some pumpkin on hand (not pie mix) just plain pumpkin in case.

These are just suggestions and ideas :) Do what is best in your own eyes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts