German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Hope everyone is well.
We have a 3yo(turns 3 10 June) female GSD.
I've been on here numerous times before for all of your help. Last time she was weighed she was 31kg (68lbs).
We have tried all of the top brands food, in which we went back to our breeders recommended BETA dried food. But we have to feed her wet food too as we stupidly stressed when she was a puppy that she wasn't eating and mixed in wet.

We usually feed her Naturo wet food - but recently I've really struggled to purchase it in lots of stores.

So I have resulted in getting Pedigree Vital, she's been on it for 3 weeks now.
She has never ever been a dog that will eat all of her bowl of food clear, unless she has been on a real long good hike or a day at the beach.
I know it is potentially like having a treat for us humans, bit I genuinely have not seen her look forward to her dinner so much as I have with this food. And she finishes her bowl every single time clean, and asks for more....

She is a very very active dog, out 3 times a day for 4+ hours in total. Including fetch etc.

My question is, how bad is Pedigree Vital? And should I look for another alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Attached some cute pics 馃槈

Super Moderator
Yes. It is bad. It's about as bad a food as you can feed.

Registered
Yes it's bad. That said, I raised my own dogs and several dozen fosters on it. As you are experiencing some dogs do really great on it. My issue is that they are using preservatives that they know are linked to cancer and their canned response is, in these quantities it's safe for dogs. Maybe, maybe not. but if you have other options then why continue.
Of note is that they have slightly different formulas by country, so if you can post the actual ingredients it may be different where you are.

Super Moderator
The first ingredient is corn.

Registered
In the U.K., I'd bet that you have access to Farmina, out of the E.U. It has a decent reputation and is likely priced better in the U.K. than the premium U.S.-foods commonly recommended here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts