German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have had to switch Jericho's food back to Puppy chow. Its the only food he will eat. I have tried the "He'll eat it when he gets hungry" approach but he will literally starve himself. So back to the puppy chow food which he will eat with no problem what so ever. My question is basically will there be any negative side effects of him eating this puppy chow as his main food? I don't want it to hurt him it's just what he will eat. I tried blue buffalo, TOTW, Orijen and he will not eat any of it maybe a bite here and a bite there but no actual eating his food. :help:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
What did you try feeding and for how long? Was it a slow transition from the puppy chow to whatever you tried or did you immediately give him 100% of the new food? Did you put the food down and pick it up after a certain amount of time? What exactly did you do and how did you go about doing it?

Feeding puppy chow is kind of kind of like feeding fast food every day. It's not healthy, but you're probably not going to die, at least right away. You might have some health issues down the road sooner than later though. Puppy chow is like an everyday diet of KFC and McDonalds.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a trasition period where I mixed the foods together and he would pick out the puppy chow bits. I did this for 8 weeks each food I tried slowly adding less and less of the puppy chow. I would put down his food twice a day and pick it up if he didn't eat it within a half an hour. i never changed the times he got fed or anything other than giving him the new food starting off mixed. The food is kept in an airtight container to keep it fresh (just like the puppy chow). He just refuses to eat it or will eat it for a while then just not eat it anymore. yet he will always eat the puppy chow. He has been picky like that since I've had him.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
have you tried mixing in some gravy or adding water to bring out the flavor more? He also may just not like the way the foods smell.... try adding some apple pieces (if your dog likes apples). Personally i wouldnt give him the option of puppy chow after a certain point. Adult food at meals times, with some water in there to make a soup kinda of situation and instead of leaving food down for 30 minutes, drop it down to 15.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried making the oup with a couple of them and he'll nose at it but let it sit there. I'll try the gravy stuff though I didn't think of that. I'll drop the tiem too. Is it common for German Shepherds to be very picky when it comes to food?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I've tried making the oup with a couple of them and he'll nose at it but let it sit there. I'll try the gravy stuff though I didn't think of that. I'll drop the tiem too. Is it common for German Shepherds to be very picky when it comes to food?

OMG Yes! its is VERY common for them to be picky eaters. Have one now. She refused to eat unless i mixed in wet food. After about 3 months of mixing in cheapo wet food, i was finally able to get her to eat all her food without mixing anything in. She's still a PITA to get to eat all her food but she has learned if she doesnt eat when she's supposed to she doesnt get any treats.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He doesnt really get treats at all. Also what age would you say is the cut off from puupy to adult food?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
With our male, he was switched at a year. Our picky eater, i dont know when she was switched (very possibly when i got her) because she was a year old when i got her. With my pup i plan to switch her at a year old so come may she'll be switching to adult food. Some people switch sooner and some switch later. its really up to you but most will switch between a 9 months and 15 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts