German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm in search of a website that gives you ingrediant breakdown and reviews of different dog foods. I know for a fact I found it here but since it's been a while since I have logged on I can't seem to track it down. If anyone knows the one I'm talking about please post the link! I've been mulling the idea of changing my dogs food and this was a wonderful resource when I was first looking!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
It sounds like you are talking about Dogfoodadvisor.com

Just take it's analysis with a grain of salt, and take it as a starting point only -- not complete research. It assumes the label is an accurate statement of ingredients (many recalls have shown that's not always true). It also assumes all sourcing is equally desirable (so organic-certified US, Canadian, and New Zealand-sourced ingredients are equal to China-sourced ingredients in their methodology) -- and that's a real blind spot for their methodology. Sourcing is at least as important as the label proportions, based on recent recalls.

I worry that its rise as a trusted website has perhaps helped prompt some consumers take their eye off the ball in terms of ingredient transparency by making it too easy to cheat on the label.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like you are talking about Dogfoodadvisor.com

Just take it's analysis with a grain of salt, and take it as a starting point only -- not complete research. It assumes the label is an accurate statement of ingredients (many recalls have shown that's not always true). It also assumes all sourcing is equally desirable (so organic-certified US, Canadian, and New Zealand-sourced ingredients are equal to China-sourced ingredients in their methodology) -- and that's a real blind spot for their methodology. Sourcing is at least as important as the label proportions, based on recent recalls.

I worry that its rise as a trusted website has perhaps helped prompt some consumers take their eye off the ball in terms of ingredient transparency by making it too easy to cheat on the label.
Yes this is the site I was looking for thank you! I know what your saying and if I recall correctly the post that I Remember this site from stated the same thing. I primarily liked it as a comparison tool as a way to compare and contrast the ingredient lists from all the different suggestions I got between the people on here and my own veterinarian, and seeing that the only two pet stores in my general area are completely out of the way it saved me an afternoon of running around just to look at the backside of food bags lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts