German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am disabled, and unable to drive and financially constrained. I have a 100lb 1.5 year old GSD. I was feeding him Kirkland signature chicken and rice dog food from Costco.

But it is proving to be a challenge to get two 40lb food bags at a time from Costco on the bus.

I am looking for a dog food which meets the following criteria:

1) At least 24-26% protein
2) First ingredient must be an animal name "Chicken" or "Lamb" or "duck"
3) 2nd ingredient must be an animal name followed by the word "meal". Eg. "Chicken Meal", "lamb meal", etc.
4) Must not contain "corn"
5) Must contain Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids
6) Must contain Glucosamine & chondritin. Glucosamine atleast 300mg / serving.

I was paying $30 for a 40lb bag at Costco. My dog eats around 40 lbs in 5 weeks + raw chicken / bones etc added in to kibbles.

With bus fare and costco membership, I assume I am paying $40 / bag or roughly $1 for 1lb of food.

Is there any dog food which I can buy online or at a nearby food store which meets the above requirements.

Note:
1) Yes I know Diamond Naturals makes the Kirkland brand, but what they sell does not meet my criteria. The Kirkland brand is very different.
2) The ingredients or their analysis is not the topic under consideration. I know what I want. And I will not change my requirements.
3) I don't like people making fun of me being poor or disabled. I live by own means, and I am a proud American and not a burden on society. No I don't live on welfare.

God Bless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's hard to get much less expensive than Costco or Sam's Club because they are so large and buy everything in bulk. The only way I can think of to buy the food cheaper, is to find a supplier like a local feed store (not pet store, but feed store, where you'd buy large animal supplies like shavings, wormers, etc) and see if you can buy it in bulk yourself and have them deliver it to you. Some feed stores offer the delivery service, not all. It's worth calling around and looking for.

Another option is cutting the middle man out, so to speak. Buy directly from a supplier. I have heard of feed suppliers directly delivering in bulk, but I have only actually heard of that living near a rural area near farms. The only downside is having the funds up front to purchase bulk. You might save per bag, but have to pay it all ahead of time instead of buying a couple of bags at a time.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

LO

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Okay I found a food that is looking good in your 6 criteria, however its a little more than $1 per lb., I dont know if that was one of your requirements - I know it said you were financially constrained, looks like $53 for a 30lb bag, so nearly 2 dollars per lb, but its deliverable so maybe that would ease that burden?

Real Chicken Brown Rice + Green Pea Dry Dog Food for Adult Dogs & Puppies | Classic Recipes from Merrick

This Merrick one Deboned chicken, chicken meal. 30 percent protein. No corn. Has 1200 mg glucosamine and Chondroitin per kg, however you specified 300 mg/ serving. I'm not sure how to go from kg to cups(serving) since I don't know how much one cup of this food weighs, but it's pretty high in both of these supplements.

Dont know if it helps any :( I tried!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I order Fromm from this place. A little more expensive, but it's a better food. 30# bags cost me about $54 shipped for the formula I get. That's right to your door and there's most likely no tax on that depending on the state you live in.

They do sell one chicken formula that's $38 for a 33# bag.

fromm - Free Shipping at Chewy.com

·
Registered
745 Posts
You could also try chewy.com - they deliver free and I have found that their prices are better than the stores.

·
Registered
624 Posts
In my experience a 15 lb bag of Canidae Lamb formula will last a medium-sized dog a month. Mine eats two cupfuls per day and is satisfied. Slightly more expensive than grocery store brand dog food but you're not feeding it grain and cheap fillers and a dog has to eat more of that to get the same amount of nutrition and you have to buy more frequently so its not cheaper in the long run.

If you don't have a Costco or feed supply store within a reasonable driving distance of home, Wal-mart should have Ol Roy's Pure brand of grain free dog food in stock. Its reasonably priced and is the nearest thing to four star dog food on a budget and you can find a Wal-mart just about anywhere. Don't buy the plain Ol Roy's because its junk dog food. But you'll be happy with their premium dog food.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Maybe Dr. Tim's Kinesis? The website doesn't state about the glucosamine, but you could email Dr. Tim. He is typically pretty quick to respond. With our older dog, I order the gluc. tablets from Costco.
I order the dog food at Petflow in the 44lb bag, and the UPS man puts it in my garage. I just put it in the dog food container, and wheel it in the house. Chewy has the food a bit cheaper, but I like the bigger bags, and Chewy is sometimes out of the food.
The food is about 414 calories a cup, so you don't have to feed a lot of it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
How about Premium Edge (also made by Diamond)? The Chicken formula is close to Kirkland's. The Salmon version is also good, but slightly more expensive. You can order both from Chewy with free shipping for orders over $49.

Chicken, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, white rice, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, tomato pomace, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Canidae comes to mind, not sure prices there but the 35lb ALS bag here is around $45-50. The chicken only formula is around $40-45.

Fromm Classic, which is only 23% protein but meets your other requirements, is only ~$35 for a 33lb bag here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts