German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a barbeque at our house last night, we had the dogs leashed up to the picnic table and everything was going great and then one of my roommate's friends showed up with her dog. She didn't ask to bring her dog and it sounded like she just hadn't had a chance to take the dog home yet and decided to bring it to the party. I was ok with it until she spotted Eko and said "OH MY GOSH how pretty!" and her dog (pit mix) dragged her over to Eko and she thought it was great, she wanted them to say hi. I had a bad feeling about it but I just watched, the dog sniffed Xena and was ok with her, then he got up to Eko and they both got stiff. Eko started showing teeth, the other dog started growling and I grabbed Eko and pulled him away. She didn't really notice what had happened I just told her Eko was being a bit territorial and I was going to put him inside. I put him in the living room and closed the screen door so he could still see us and be part of the party.

So everything was fine, the girl gave her dog and Xena a bone, they were happy and occupied, we were just chatting and eating and I hear a growl under the table. I was just starting to get up to see what was going on when the fight broke out, everyone screamed and jumped up to run away, I get under the table to separate them and Eko was snapping and snarling and then he popped open the screen door! Luckily my boyfriend caught him and I was able to get Xena away from the other dog, I checked her all over and she was ok, it was just a lot of noise. We found the thing they were fighting over: a piece of asparagus!! Eko was very upset over the whole thing, he kept sniffing Xena all over and sitting in front of her and the other dog kept staring him down the whole time. (We leashed the dogs to different posts, Eko and Xena were together and the other dog went to the other side of the yard.) Eko was on guard all night he even snapped at our neighbor who came over after everyone else had left. I kept having him sit and lay down and tried to get him to calm down but he wouldn't.

Today everything is fine... dogs are acting normal and playing. I am a little upset at that girl for not only bringing the dog over without asking but for running away when the dogs started to fight. I guess she was just startled, it was really unexpected Xena and the other dog were giving each other kisses and hanging out and were totally fine until they found the asparagus. I'm just glad the dogs are all ok and hopefully that girl learned a lesson last night. :/

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when i visit someone with my dog or someone visits us with their
dog if either dog growls the dogs are seperated for the remainder
of the visit. i'll put my dog in the bedroom behind closed doors.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, now that it's all said and done I wish I had just put them away. It was our first barbeque this year and I wanted the dogs to have fun too. I know better now. :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
I hate it when people brings dogs over unannounced. Friends of mine decided to bring their toy poodle over to a BBQ I had a while ago, I found out it was coming when I opened the front door. My dog is friendly but the poodle was scared and kept snapping at her the whole time. I was worried mine would eventually get sick of it and react so she ended up having to stay inside away from everyone. It annoyed me because she loves it when I have visitors but had to miss out because of them.

Worst part is that i've known the man since I was a kid and back when we were about 17 he decided to bring his Staffordshire cross over unannounced. His dog (on lead) tried to go for one of my parents cats which set my dog off (female GSD). She jumped straight on my mates dog and tore it up a bit... only time she ever showed aggression towards another dog in her entire life, haha!! don't mess with her pack even if it is a cat. Would have thought he'd have learnt then.

·
Registered
15,976 Posts
Ahem, I hope you learned something. Don't count on other people learning something. If you have guests and one of your dogs is giving stink eye, it is likely both your dogs need to be put up or the guest dog asked to leave. Probably all of the above.
No need to "hate" someone else's behavior. Look at what you could have done differently.
BTW not really a dog fight if there was no bloodshed. Just an arguement.
And as they have shown you, they will decide to value things differently in a situation like that (bunches of people, + new dog, etc.) Very often if one dog wants something or shows interest in something, the other dog will decide it is a prize.

So what do you know? Your dogs probably don't belong in that sort of a situation. If you decide they do, then nicely explain to any interloper the situation. (aka - sorry but in this situation I do not want to add another dog - please take your dog elsewhere.) This doesn't apply just to a "surprise" guest dog but to other unplanned situations that might spell trouble.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I have plenty of spare crates, an x-pen and a kennel run for people that bring their dogs without asking first.

This is MY house. MY dogs get the run of it and their yard unless I TELL someone to bring their dog(s).

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah if I could do it over again I would have put the dogs away. Eko is usually great with dogs, the only other time there was a problem was when a loose pit bull ran into our house, and the way this dog approached Eko really reminded me of that loose dog. That's why I had a bad feeling. And Xena is a very bratty puppy she is very snappy so I probably should have thought of that.

I probably will still have my dogs with us when we BBQ, but if another dog shows up I'll have to put them in their crates which makes me feel really bad but if my bf hadn't caught Eko and he got to the pit bull and they hurt or killed each other I'd feel a lot worse.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have plenty of spare crates, an x-pen and a kennel run for people that bring their dogs without asking first.

This is MY house. MY dogs get the run of it and their yard unless I TELL someone to bring their dog(s).
I hadn't thought of that, that's a really good idea!

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I wish my kids were so adamant about getting to the asparagus.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I hadn't thought of that, that's a really good idea!
Yep - having those extra areas to contain an unexpected canine guest comes in handy.

When I KNOW someone is bringing their dog(s) over I make sure to get mine out and run them ragged about an hour before the guests are to arrive. That way my gang is tired out and more mellow. :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep - having those extra areas to contain an unexpected canine guest comes in handy.

When I KNOW someone is bringing their dog(s) over I make sure to get mine out and run them ragged about an hour before the guests are to arrive. That way my gang is tired out and more mellow. :)
That makes sense. The dogs were pretty excited about all the guests and then the other dog came barreling in and got right up in Eko's face.

Sunflowers: Lol!! We couldn't believe all that noise was over a piece of asparagus! I figured one was trying to take the other's bone but nope!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts