German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a feeling this day would come and I have been mildly dreading it. The day I realized I could not give Archer enough exercise around the house. We live in a townhome with nowhere to let him run off leash. I have done my best but I knew it was coming to a head. So I bit the bullet. Very close to me is a 66-acre dog park, they call them dog exercise areas. For $50 a year I can use any of the 4 parks or dog beach that we have in our county. I said 66 acres is a lot so we went over there yesterday to check it out. I kept him leashed while we were in the vicinity of other dogs but we managed to get to an area where no one was at. So I took the leash off and we had a great time. He loved running around and chasing his toy and his recall to me was fantastic. If any dogs got relatively close, I put him on the leash and kept him close to me. We were there for about an hour and there was nothing negative even remotely close to happening. I am pretty sure I can manage to keep him away from everyone else and focused on me especially with his ball drive being so high. But it is a necessary evil to keep him in shape and happy. This place is huge! http://www.lcfpd.org/assets/1/7/2017-05-02_-_Lakewood_2017_Dog_Exercise_Area_Partial_Closure.pdf

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Use that off leash area to do some training on leash . Employ the mind -- then graduate to off leash.

this will be good because the dog has to understand that even in this "fun" place , obedience is still required --

this will come in mightily handy if there is a surprise visit from another dog . Your dog can be at liberty and still
be responsible to you and under control.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use that off leash area to do some training on leash . Employ the mind -- then graduate to off leash.

this will be good because the dog has to understand that even in this "fun" place , obedience is still required --

this will come in mightily handy if there is a surprise visit from another dog . Your dog can be at liberty and still
I kind of started this yesterday but I wanted him to have a great first experience so we played for most of it. I always include obedience into play. Sit stay, down stay, leave it, come. I have a sound I use to recall him as well as "come". He is well aware that his obedience to me is always necessary. But in the event there is a surprise visit from another dog, we will always keep training so that we can be ready. To be honest when we first walked in, people looked like they wanted to stay away from the scary German Shepherd anyway, what will they think when he is fully grown lol. This is a bonus for me as we don't like to be bothered very much and it allows me to control the circumstances in which he meets and greets. I am just glad we have somewhere to get some work in where I feel we can be safe.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
It looks really nice my aunt takes her husky to a dog park very similar to yours with a on and off leash area. It looks more like a regular park. It's not like dog parks we have here which are just small enclosed fenced areas.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks really nice my aunt takes her husky to a dog park very similar to yours with a on and off leash area. It looks more like a regular park. It's not like dog parks we have here which are just small enclosed fenced areas.
I really only liked the idea since it is so big. By the looks of it, our smallest dog park of the 4 is 30 acres. He needs it and he loved it. I was surprised how much energy he had left after 45 of running around.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
bighemi said
"To be honest when we first walked in, people looked like they wanted to stay away from the scary German Shepherd anyway, what will they think when he is fully grown lol."

I would down play that so fast .

What can happen? You will be watched and you will be the one to blame in any encounter that goes wrong - even if the other dog provokes it .

I would have turned it around to - we are new here in this dog park where freedom is possible --- and still earned - so obedience in this environment first -- release is the reward .

I would do training , with play , not play with interspersed training. The dog will want to train for the reward.

the way you are doing it the training is a buzz kill .

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I really only liked the idea since it is so big. By the looks of it, our smallest dog park of the 4 is 30 acres. He needs it and he loved it. I was surprised how much energy he had left after 45 of running around.
Wow that is a big dog park such a nice thing to have with much room to roam. Yeah I'm not sure they can get tired sometimes they just want more and more -wish I had that energy!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

You mean with no other dogs around, right?

One thing that I always hate to see is a leashed dog at a dog park. It causes so many problems. The other dogs are free to run around, approach, etc., while the leashed dog is restrained. Sometimes the dog is just bummed it can't run around and play, but other times it gets highly reactive or even aggressive. I would rather you stayed out of the OFF LEASH park if you are going to leash your dog. Take him to a regular park to train around other dogs who are also leashed. I don't need your dog lunging and snarling and freaking out all the other dogs when I'm trying to enjoy a weekend hike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts