German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than buy one of the fancy expensive "slow down" bowls, we just used one we already had. It was just a stainless steel "non skid no tip" bowl we picked up at petsmart. It previously had a little rubber strip on the bottom that we removed. I believe it was around or under $10.

Bowl in it's regular form

upside down

and with Dante's food

Just an idea. The other cheap ideas of putting the food in cupcake pans, etc never worked for anyone I knew. The dogs just tipped them when they stepped on one side of it trying to eat. A rock never slowed one down that I knew. But this works great.

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's great! I'm going to give that a shot.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Duh! Why didn't I think of that!! Good thing I only spent about $5 on the slow feed bowl I bought. I'm going to try this with the old bowl to see how it does since I think it's only a matter of time before Ridley realizes he can flip the plastic bowl over with no effort whatsoever.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
:thumbup: Rerun great idea!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Used it for supper! Works better than anything else I've tried for my boy :D

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Ha! very cool, and we have those bowls in the garage collecting dust (digging them out now)!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
that is a great idea about turning the bowl upside down. :)

I used to put a rubber ball in with my dogs food...now she won't eat unless her ball is in the bowl with her. She'll go find it and bring it and drop it in her bowl and then eat her breakfast or dinner. :D

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I know muffin tins work for some people. Another option is to put a large rock or brick in the middle of the food bowl, or feed the dog on a baking sheet.
Another option that isn't that expensive is to buy a puppy pan, they're a similar price to other stainless dog dishes:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
well, I tried the "non-tip dog bowl ,flipped it over" idea. It was working great with Meika for about a week. Now she has figured out that she can use her nose to shovel the food into a pile and then scarf it down. At least she has stopped burping after meals now! LOL

Darn that smart dog!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Great idea!

I have heard of people using bundt (spelling?) pans as well as muffin/cupcake pans too.

We just used a filled can (usually whatever was in the panty that nobody liked!) and plopped it into the middle of the bowl.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This is what I've been doing with Luke's meals since he inhales his food. Every once in a while I'll use the bowl in its regular mode just to see if maybe he's used to eating slower. Nope, two seconds and the food is gone. I love inexpensive alternatives.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Like everyone said Wonderful idea, we had gotten the bowl ball, it didn't work worth a crap. We were trying to think of another idea but this is just awesome! Can't wait to try it out! Thanks!!

·
Registered
950 Posts
A girl I house sit for uses a muffin tin to feed her lab - lots of little sections the dog can eat at a time!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts