German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hii guys i owned a GSD 2 month old, his one (left)ear stands in 35 days and second (right)ear stands after 10 days for a day and next morning his ear went slightly down i took him to vet to clean his ears but after that his (right) ear completely went down. It has been 5 days from cleaning the ear but there is no improvement his (right)ear is completely down and had a vertical line and from that line the ear is bending.
Is it broke from there??
You can see the line in the image below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Puppies ears go up and down....during teething (4.5 to 6 months) they go down.....don't manipulate the ear, leave it alone!

There is a whole section in the forum on ears.

Don't worry and do not handle it!

Lee

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
it is just the ear structure - probably cartilage.....leave it alone! feed the pup some extra calcium in yogurt or cottage cheese or something similar (not sure what is available where you live) ....give him raw meaty bones if they are available to gnaw and exercise the jaw muscles

Lee

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
One of my girls has a horizontal line like you pictured. Her ears were up for good @ 8-9weeks. She is approaching 9 yrs old and never an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohk thank you for the information.
if there will be an improvement in his ear after 1 week i will post a picture.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
That's normal. It will go away eventually. It does NOT mean the ear is broken.

This is my dog, Star. I got her at 12 weeks, and here ears were up. Within a week, they both fell down, and did not come up and stay up until around the time that photo was taken at 9 months. The bulges you see in each ear are where the ear would bend before they both finally came up.

Please, don't worry. Once the ears have been up, they WILL come up again! You just need to be patient.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But i am concerned about his ear more because the vet where i have taken my dog to his clean his ear. He cleaned my dog ear very roughly, from that day the right ear of my dog is down with no improvement in past 6 days.

Thats why i am worried.

Can you please tell me how to find out that the dog ear is broken or cartilage is damaged.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In all of the pictures you've shown these are normal ears. There really isn't anything to worry about. When teething is done the ears should firm up and stand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When my puppy sleep on his left side down then his right ear stands after he wakes up the right ear stands for a second then down.
I have attached 2 pic of him as sleeping and ear standing and one pic is closeup of his ear.
And its inside shape of right ear is different from left ear..
Is there any problem inside the ear???

If yes then please tell me and give a proper solution..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Everyone has given you fair answers and opinions. The line is the cartilage. And there is no correlation whatsoever to the vet cleaning his ears roughly. Your dog is a tiny 2 months old, give him time. A lot of time. And just try and leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Completely normal. Ear isn't "broken". My girl has those lines as well. When she moves her ears down and back, is where her lines are at inside the ear.

Nothing to worry about. All the pictures you posted are completely normal ears.

My advice, do not touch or play with the ears.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
You have multiple replies and people telling you his ears are fine and to leave them alone! I don't understand what the problem is. You have a tiny, baby, growing puppy. Leave his ears alone because fairly soon both ears are probably going to flop and then you are going to really freak out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My breeder from which i purchased my puppy thinks that, puppy might have muscle breakdown from that point where there is a crease in ear and thats why the ear bending from that crease.

That’s why i am worried too much..

I have attached a pic which shows the crease in his ear and the ear is bending from that crease.

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
You are definitely worried too much. Please take the advice of other people here and relax. Puppies ears go up and down for several months, so don't be surprised when they both fall down. It's normal and there is nothing wrong with your puppy's ears. He's just young and only time will solve that issue.

That crease is meaningless and your breeder is incorrect. There is no muscle in the ear itself, only cartilage, skin and hair. The muscles are at the base of the ear, so there is no chance that muscle damage is present in the ear. And before you start worrying about it, the cartilage is not damaged, either. It's a simple crease and it will disappear when the ears stand.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts