German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you believe in dressing your dogs? Like putting your German Shepherd in a dress or your male German Shepherd in a Tuxedo?

I don't think dogs need clothing. Fur is enough.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'm looking for coats for our dogs for this winter so I can just peel off the coat when they come in and not have to clean as much of their undercarriage as usual. Thats about as far as I'll go and I have a feeling it won't work all that well :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I have no problem with dressing dogs for special occasions as long as the dog doesn't mind the clothes. If the dog is upset by it that's another matter.
Also fine if it is for the dog's benefit such as shoes in very cold climates or on hot pavement, rain gear or coats for cold weather. Fur is not always enough depending on where you live, like here in Chicago where it gets below zero at times in the winter and is often in the 90s in the summer.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I have this need to put a flower wreath on Annie's head and to dress Harley in a black leather jacket...but the whites have enough bad press without me totally humiliating them in public.
So instead, I'm going to dress the cats...if I can catch them. :p

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Something to protect paws in harsh conditions, back packs for long hikes,,,that's about all I believe in. I don't believe in "dressing" them up.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Cody has a new oufit for every day....kidding!

·
Registered
164 Posts
A coat maybe, for winter, especially for my rescue who has a thin Doberman type hair. Maybe a cape for Halloween. I would never go further then that though. I do tend to buy pretty collars for my girl, pink with gems and stuff. Or pretty bandannas. That’s it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not here, for sure! When I see little yapy dog dressed in pink, it looks to me kinda....not strait, you know:eek: Maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I've always had a variety of gear for my dogs. They've got harnesses for various purposes. Backpacks. For a while we did Bandanas with different logos or for holidays, just to make them more approachable out in public. Abby's worn the "donation dog" vest at rescue events. I've also dressed her up for Halloween. On really yucky cold/wet days, I've been known to throw a dog blanket or a T-shirt on the pups.

Not sure that's the same as "dressing" them, however. Some of the things I see for sale in pet stores just make me go ... WTF? Like sun dresses with hats and matching shoes. Stupid stuff like that. I would never do *that* to either of my dogs.

Don't see anything wrong with protective items, however ... like Muttlucks or a blanket.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think that only dogs that get cold easily in the winter time should have clothes, such as Chinese cresteds, Mexican hairless, and a lot of the little, short-haired or hairless dogs.

Booties are also allowed, given those are for safety purposes.

Costumes are okay (to a degree) for Halloween, IMO. :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Ummm...No, unless its for a special occasion or it serves a purpose (Booties, Jackets for cold weather, etc.). I would, however, like to see Koda in some sort of costume for Halloween this year, just because I think he would be so darn adorable depending on the costume. I don't know if I'll do it though. :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
I will put a hiking pack or a light jacket or raincoat on my shepherd. My Pomeranian is a different story. He is 3.5 pounds and gets cold in the winter (we live in Maine). So he gets to wear "hoodies" and loves them when it is cold. He will "dance" for me to put it on him. He has been raised with GSD's and a Pit X and is in most ways a tough little dude! :wub:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If the dog doesn't mind it and the dog doesn't get too hot, then go for it. Doing things to your dog like dressing them up or handling their body in general will help them tolerate medical things like e-collars or useful doggy-wear like backpacks and booties.
That is a good point. I've also had dogs who had to wear a t-shirt due to a medical condition so it helps if they're already used to having something put on them/wearing clothing. A shirt can also be a better, less stressful alternative to an elizabethan collar for certain issues (the t-shirt can be used to cover stitches for example.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts