German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are doing some drive building with Kias and I'm constantly worried about his trachea. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced wide dog collar that will protect him with all this pulling?

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
Generally, the drive building is done as a puppy so I use a harness. Once they are adults, I have them on a prong and if I have to hold the collar, I use it on the dead ring. The next collar would be an agitation collar which is 1 1/2" to 2" wide. Some have handles on them, others don't.

You can do a leather one or nylon. I see a Julius K9 nylon collar for $25.

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
Bridgeport Equipment has nice leather. One of my first leashes is from there and it's at least 12 years old.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Generally, the drive building is done as a puppy so I use a harness. Once they are adults, I have them on a prong and if I have to hold the collar, I use it on the dead ring. The next collar would be an agitation collar which is 1 1/2" to 2" wide. Some have handles on them, others don't.

You can do a leather one or nylon. I see a Julius K9 nylon collar for $25.

Yes, agitation collar. I use the prongs sometimes, but I'm trying to let him get at it more without as much pinching, because he backs off when he feels the prongs. I wanted to build his drive and let him pull as much as he wants when the time is right.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think there's any good collars for less? Do you think an Amazon collar that is just a wider build would work? Maybe I ought to go harness instead.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, money doesn't flow that much for me, and for my parents it's probably just another necessity I don't need. (not to pick on them, I do have a lot of things I want to buy that I don't need; just a weakness or mine)

Will this work?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you suggest I do? Should I stick to prongs for now?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm drive building. He has very low drive and will not go for a toy if it means getting pinched if it's out of his reach.
Are you working with a trainer to do this?

I would be very careful about doing this sort of thing with a dog with issues without the direct help of a trainer.

·
Registered
404 Posts

I would be very careful about doing this sort of thing with a dog with issues without the direct help of a trainer.
No offense but if you need a trainer to throw a ball on the ground and make your dog bark at it as you kick it around... I mean come on

I will second this by saying if you even tried this with a prong collar on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I have gotten trainer instruction and watched videos. No, I am not an expert, but I'm trying to do exactly what he showed me to do and it should help. Kias is very low prey and toy drive and our trainer said he needs to have some drive. He showed us how to build with his dog, then helped me do it myself.

No offense but if you need a trainer to throw a ball on the ground and make your dog bark at it as you kick it around... I mean come on

I don't really understand you. I never built Kias's drive. I never taught him how to really play. The trainer came and evaluated us and showed me how to teach him and build his drive. I have tried this with a prong collar because that is what he recommended. But Kias has been taught not to pull on the prongs and will balk if he is pinched while lunging for a toy. I am going to try with a flat collar first and let him build his drive to get the toy before I use the prongs for actively.

·
Registered
888 Posts

The OP has posted before about behavioral issues with this dog attempting to bite in the past. If are going to be causing and rewarding frustration in a dog with issues I think a novice owner should have an experienced trainer on board to guide them.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have gotten trainer instruction and watched videos. No, I am not an expert, but I'm trying to do exactly what he showed me to do and it should help. Kias is very low prey and toy drive and our trainer said he needs to have some drive. He showed us how to build with his dog, then helped me do it myself.
Are you working with this trainer regularly or was this a one time lesson? A trainer who has actually seen your dog in person and assessed him is the one I would go to for advice about what collar to use. If you are having issue bring it up with your trainer, that's what you are paying them for. If your trainer wants you to use a prong ask why. If the prong is causing issues tell your trainer, it may not be the collar it may be something you are doing.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you working with this trainer regularly or was this a one time lesson? A trainer who has actually seen your dog in person and assessed him is the one I would go to for advice about what collar to use. If you are having issue bring it up with your trainer, that's what you are paying them for. If your trainer wants you to use a prong ask why. If the prong is causing issues tell your trainer, it may not be the collar it may be something you are doing.
Trainer assessed Kias in person. One time lesson. He showed me how to do it, and I also watched videos. I know how to use the rope and ball and have before. He said to use the prong or his collar. He showed me what he did with his dog, and he said that's how he built his dog's drive. He also understands, I believe, that kias is very obedient to prong pressure and will not pull. So I'm starting with a normal collar to help him understand he can and should pull to get it, when the time is right.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts