German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about 4 months in, in moving my 18 month old gsd in with my gf and her two cats. We have the master bedroom gated, so we've made that there safe area. They look at each other thru the gate which I think has been really good for them. One of the cats does pretty well with him and will come out into the living room with us here and there, but the other one still won't. I do take my dog into the master bedroom for brief hangouts to see how they do. My gsd treats them like a dog and wants to sniff them and they have about a 1-3 ft radius that they don't like him to come into.

So overall I feel like we're making slow progress but the thing we need help with is when the dog sees me or my gf petting or giving them attention, he barks and whines pretty aggressively. Any suggestions on how we can make this easier on him? Or any drills or things we could do to help them along would be appreciated!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions, never been in this situation before. But maybe someone else will see this when I bump it up!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
So much depends on the cats and the dog... I'm talking personalities.

I have a little Burmese, she's going on 17 yrs old.

She coexisted with my other GSDs, but when Sofie entered the house, she hissed and and fuzzed up. An invitation for a GSD to consider her prey.

Today, the cat has her space ( invisible fence household solutions) and my dogs have their space.

Wish they cuddled, but some dogs and some cats just don't.

Good luck, hope it works for you.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I think it just takes time. As zippy said - it depends on personality. Some of our cats just have ignored the dog, others love the dog - walk with it and lick her ears, one is a little feral and will always be feral, skittish around the dog.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
So I'm about 4 months in, in moving my 18 month old gsd in with my gf and her two cats. We have the master bedroom gated, so we've made that there safe area. They look at each other thru the gate which I think has been really good for them. One of the cats does pretty well with him and will come out into the living room with us here and there, but the other one still won't. I do take my dog into the master bedroom for brief hangouts to see how they do. My gsd treats them like a dog and wants to sniff them and they have about a 1-3 ft radius that they don't like him to come into.

So overall I feel like we're making slow progress but the thing we need help with is when the dog sees me or my gf petting or giving them attention, he barks and whines pretty aggressively. Any suggestions on how we can make this easier on him? Or any drills or things we could do to help them along would be appreciated!
By and large your doing very well "especially" with a 18 month old GSD that has not grown up with cats!

By and large as I always say there is only one rule with Dogs and Cats, The Dog Never Chase The Cat!

So it sounds like you have that covered! The one cat is obviously more sure of himself and by and large that is why he will come out, I tend to think. The other cat not so much, the dog still has to much energy for him so he figures ... best to stay clear.

By and large I pretty much recommend the same thing for a lot of different situations. Train the "Place Command and Do Sit on the Dog" I would also consider not allowing the Dog to Free Roam in the house. Don't know if use a Crate?? If you do I would say Crate or Place for the Dog indoors.

Regardless "Place" will help to lower the Dogs Energy and if the one Cat "Knows where the dog is??" Eventually you will most likely find he gets curious and will actually come to investigate??

If the dog is trained to stay in "Place" indoors the cat is not going to "disappear"at the slightest movement from the dog. When cats "know" dogs are under control, they by and large no longer care about them! Adjust to suit but the key is know where the dog is and keep him form moving towards the Cat. :)

That said "Place and Sit on the Dog are here" :
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Those things by and large are all you need but here are some other protocals:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/6715746-post2.html

As always ask questions and Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
GSDs that love to chase squirrels have to be discouraged from chasing small things.

I always made it clear to my late girl she could look at them but not go after them.

My cats tolerated her well. When you introduce animals together, give them time to get used to each other.

And never force them to become friends.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I have 2 cats. I watched Sonny and the 2 pretty closely for a while. Sonny pretty much just wanted to play with them. I thought they disliked and/or barely tolerated him until I caught those two rubbing up against him and nosing him.

Sonny reacts when the cats get attention or are held so a well trained down, stay or leave it command solved our problem.

The cats were already older and part of the family when I brought Sonny home.

Like you I also gated off a room so they could have their own space.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We now have 3 dogs & 1 cat. The cat grew up with dogs. I adopted her when she was 2 & I had my "old" dog which was raised on a farm & knew not to chase the farm cats & ferret. Old dog passed away & I had just the cat for 9 months. Got our 1st Husky (he was about a yr. & a half old), he pretty much ignores the cat. Later got 2nd Husky (she was about a yr. old), she acted interested but not in a threatening manner. She will now lick the cat's face & lay with the cat. The cat will jump over both of the Huskies & I keep telling her that she has a death wish, cos most dogs would try to bite or go after her when she jumps over them & takes off running.

The German Shepherd is 18 months old & we've had him about a month. We had him in the crate when we 1st brought the cat into sight. He did not bark at her, but he did a lot of whining & going crazy. We have an E-collar & the trainer told us to give him a correction any time he tries to go after her & even if he's too focused on her. The cat is not afraid & does not run. She will even hiss & go at him if he gets too close for comfort, or he keeps pacing back & forth in her space & not allowing her any peace. He's just trying to figure out what the heck the cat is. The last couple of days, he seems to be less interested in the cat & the cat seems to be slowly pushing her boundaries with him, walking closer by him & laying on the couch just above where he is laying on the floor.

I think it helps a lot that the other 2 dogs accept the cat & he sees that they don't go after her.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a seven month old puppy and a three year old cat. The cat has experience with dogs and has enjoyed their company. Unfortunately, my mother in laws terrier attacked her a few months before we brought our puppy home. I had hoped that the cat would adjust fine since she had lived with a beagle for a couple of years. The beagle became ill and died before the puppy came so there was not that to transition the cat. The cat has been terrified of the puppy. It's been a lesson in patience. 5 months later, they can coexist in a room together. The key has been giving the cat a bubble and having patience. The dog cannot make any noise about or around the cat which is a challenge. I often preemptively grab the dogs leash to assure things stay fine. Just this week, the cat felt at ease enough to lay on the floor while the dog was around in the same area. The dog has to always act below the cat's threshold. I employ a baby gates to let the cat have freedom and security. The cat also has a cat door to the basement and free access to that entire area at all times. I honestly miss my cat but I am hopeful that they will become neutral with each other. I doubt it will happen on the fast track. It's all about working under the cat's threshold and teaching the dog manners with the cat with my situation. I've always had a cat and dog mix and this has been the most challenging situation so far. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts