German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a mess right now! My GSD had surgery 3 1/2 weeks ago( ACL Surgery) The Dr said we could take his e-collar off now and again. Well I must of not put it on right because I went out to the store for 15 minutes and I came back and he had managed to get his head out of the e-collar and down by his ankle where he was shaven, he had a scab, he chewed off the scab and chewed through his flesh all the way down to the bone. He's at the hospital right now getting surgery. The area where he chewed was not where he got the surgery( near the knee) but was an area that was hurt since 2 weeks ago the dr banaged his leg too tight and his whole lef swelled up and blood started coming out of his ankle. Luckily I saw that his leg was swollen and took his bandage off quickly and the swelling went down, the bleeding stopped, and for the last 2 weeks has had a huge scab. It looked like it was healing, but 15 minutes and he had chewed his leg apart. I'm so Mad at me, I should of never even removed his collar, but I thought after almost 4 weeks, he would of like a break from it.....
I just feel I wonder if he will ever heal. It's one thing after another. Kind of wish I never did the surgery. We are going on vacation to the beach with him in 3 weeks...of course I'm keeping him caged the whole vacation, but I wonder if I should just cancel. I Would lose my money if I did, but I worry since the closet vet is pretty far in case something else happened. Thanks for listening. Sorry this is a long entry!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
That sounds awful! Poor guy! It must have still been bothering him. I am really sorry you and your dog are going through this.

Do you have lots of good chewies and interesting toys for him during his recuperation?

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Natalie I am sorry you are having problems with your pup. Maybe he will be mostly healed in three weeks. If you are worried you might need a vet I would start researching now and see what is in the area you are going to. That way if need be you will have the details.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
*Hugs*

We all make mistakes and errors in judgment, poor dog! Canine leg kebabs are not tasty nor are they part of a balanced diet, silly pooch!!
I don't have any advice but I wish you the best with a difficult decision and I hope your furry Hannibal recovers quickly!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. It makes me wonder if he had an infection underneath his scab that he wanted to get out. Have you heard of dogs doing this before???? I realize that I am to blame for the e-collar mistake, but I can't help that be upset that the whole reason he had the scab in the first place was because the vet tied his bandage way too tight forcing him to bleed out though his ankles.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Do not beat yourself up. You did not do anything wrong, unless you had this conversation with yourself.
"I wonder if he'd chew through his leg if I put this collar on wrong? I'll bet he will. I'll take the chance and put it on wrong on purpose."
Bet that didn't happen now, did it?

Sending ((((((HUGS)))))))to you both.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
Dogs will do this given a chance. No need of an infection to inspire this. Scabs itch. Wounds itch. I remember the ortho vet had to deal with a dog that had chewed its foot completely off. (Feel better now? -- Be glad you were only gone 15 minutes!) When the vet says you can take the collar off from time to time that means if you are there WATCHING to catch stuff like this. Day 3 after surgery/wound is a really bad day because dogs can do fine with ignoring up until then (lullying you into a false sense of security/safety) -- then it gets really itchy. (Voice of experience here with a late night trip to the emergency room as a result. In our case stitches removed and skin open to muscle. Emergency repair cost twice what the initial surgery did too.)
Yes, it's freaky. Yes, you will feel bad. (I sure did - and stupid too.)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
If dogs want to get out of the e-collar they will find a way! Ask the vet if you can use a bite not collar - not sure if this will keep him away from the leg but ask them.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Natalie, you have been through so much. I am so sorry this happened. Please do not be so hard on yourself about this! Stay on course for the beach. In the next 3 weeks, give him the usual excellent post-op care you normally do.. then enjoy some beach air. He WILL heal, he WILL get better. You may need to be more vigilant with the e-collar, maybe the vet would even perscribe calming meds if he absolutels needs them for a few weeks... but, this all WILL get better. A year from now, he will be bouncing around the yard in the warm sunshine, rolling in the grass-- and you both will have forgotten all about this long, slow healing process.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereDogs will do this given a chance. No need of an infection to inspire this. Scabs itch. Wounds itch. I remember the ortho vet had to deal with a dog that had chewed its foot completely off. (Feel better now? -- Be glad you were only gone 15 minutes!) When the vet says you can take the collar off from time to time that means if you are there WATCHING to catch stuff like this. Day 3 after surgery/wound is a really bad day because dogs can do fine with ignoring up until then (lullying you into a false sense of security/safety) -- then it gets really itchy. (Voice of experience here with a late night trip to the emergency room as a result. In our case stitches removed and skin open to muscle. Emergency repair cost twice what the initial surgery did too.)
Yes, it's freaky. Yes, you will feel bad. (I sure did - and stupid too.)
She didn't leave him without the e-collar. She took it off, then put it back on and she didn't put it on correctly because he was able to take it off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to also add it was also 3 and a half weeks, not 3 days after surgery. We just picked him up from the vet. The vet says that he was there last night with him, the e-collar was on correctly, and he saw him break out of it again. German shepherds are really something. He's doing OK, had stiches and now we need to make a stronger bucket so he does not break out and he also said to keep him on tranqulizers 24/7.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts