German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some googling and couldn't seem to find anything. So basically, when my dog was about 7 months old, he found a rusty fishing lure/hook behind our property. He attempted to eat it and got a hook stuck in the side of his mouth/gums. He had to have it surgically removed. They doesn't seem to be any apparent health or visible issues with his mouth, but from time to time the side of his mouth where the hook was stuck will get very dry, even if properly hydrated. Are there any dog friendly chapsticks or balms I can use to hydrate this area of skin? Just seems like the dog equivalent to chap lips to me, and I imagine it might be somewhat uncomfortable for him at times.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
How about pure unrefined/organic coconut oil? If he licks it, it's fine. It works great on human lips that get dry (I sometimes use it at bedtime), so there's no reason it wouldn't have the same benefit on a dog. I would just rust run a q-tip through the jar and then rub it gently on his lips.

Actual "chapstick" type products tend to actually be drying -- they feel good for a minute then the lips are dryer than before, leading to a cycle of needing them.

OTOH, if it's lip fold pyoderma, the best advice I ever got for that came from this forum: a German diaper-cream product called Pentaten. I think I ordered it from Amazon's German portal.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about pure unrefined/organic coconut oil? If he licks it, it's fine. It works great on human lips that get dry (I sometimes use it at bedtime), so there's no reason it wouldn't have the same benefit on a dog. I would just rust run a q-tip through the jar and then rub it gently on his lips.

Actual "chapstick" type products tend to actually be drying -- they feel good for a minute then the lips are dryer than before, leading to a cycle of needing them.

OTOH, if it's lip fold pyoderma, the best advice I ever got for that came from this forum: a German diaper-cream product called Pentaten. I think I ordered it from Amazon's German portal.
Thanks! I'll give the coconut oil a try!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts