German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks so some of you might be cringing reading this thread title if you've ever taken those quizzes and realize how gimmicky or not very accurate they are.

I've found that trying to find the right breed of dog is very difficult. A lot of people who shouldn't own shepherds get them and a lot of people who would be great shepherd owners don't due to various misinformation or exposure to byb poorly bred dogs that can be a high turnoff mainly due to temperament issues. (I believe one of my friends would love owning well-bred shepherds but she's only really been around nutcases that've been poorly bred and poorly trained.)

Anyway going on a tangent I want to create a more accurate dog breed quiz to give people searching for a dog breed more accurate options because the better matchup of dog to person the less dogs in shelters. I'm also hoping to casually link info such as proper training and how to find a responsible breeder at the end of said quiz. The more ways we can connect the general public to this information the better. Obviously it isn't going to be 100% but I just want to give people better ideas of what breeds to look into. For example I've gotten huskies which I'll never own but a simple question about say prey drive and/or vocalness should've eliminated them from my options.

So that said I'm wondering if anybody wants to join in on helping with it? It'll be a slow moving project as I go to work and school but a few people helping get breed data together and brainstorming traits to add to the quiz would help. Additionally at some point I'll need to rate german shepherds once I get all the traits that're going to be rated set up. I'm thinking that breed lines will get their own data so for example you could get ASL german shepherds as a result from the test. (Breed data I want to get opinions from a decent amount of people and then average it out, but with information being required ideally we can filter out some poorly bred dogs from the results.)

You can feel free to pm me for more info but all feel free to rip apart the idea in the comments, I've found good discussion can help iron out details on projects. 馃槀

Registered
I think that the quizzes get confounded by the vast differences with some breeds. In the sporting breeds for example, comparing the field lines to the show lines in the same breed the differences can be gigantic. In German Shepherds, not only do you have the showline/working line divide, but you similar dogs with wildly divergent drives and temperaments. Anyhow, good luck with the project.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I would start with a quiz "Is a German Shepherd right for you." Then transition to if the answer is yes then move to which line.

Bringing the other breeds in could come later. I would start by adding similar dog breeds to the quiz. Breed clubs are a good source for this kind of information.
That's a good point on the breed clubs I'll have to check in with this, however I'm not worried about time in the project so I think I'll keep it as a whole breed quiz even if it takes a year to complete. It's more that I may split working vs. showlines into two different groups right off the bat for breeds that the differences are severe. I agree that with shepherds it's tricky especially with how varying some traits in the breed seem to be such as prey drive or the level/way the dogs work from it at. WIth some dogs wanting to chase and kill vs. others with a lower prey drive or at least not the chase and kill.

I think that the quizzes get confounded by the vast differences with some breeds. In the sporting breeds for example, comparing the field lines to the show lines in the same breed the differences can be gigantic. In German Shepherds, not only do you have the showline/working line divide, but you similar dogs with wildly divergent drives and temperaments. Anyhow, good luck with the project.
That's very true, that's why I'm thinking that show line and working line/field bred lines may be separated from the get go. And yes there are definitely going to be line and temperament differences by breeder that you won't be able to fully account for. But I just want to get a better system in place for giving people a list of breeds to look into. Say you take the quiz and get 5-10 breeds that match high you can then look into each further and find out if any seem like they'd be a good match.

Registered
I agree with JRatke's idea. You may want to stick smaller because there is soooooo much info in just the realm of GSD lines. Imagine trying to do a quiz with every breed! That would be crazy hard!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with JRatke's idea. You may want to stick smaller because there is soooooo much info in just the realm of GSD lines. Imagine trying to do a quiz with every breed! That would be crazy hard!
It won't be too bad. The idea is to get a list of the "most important" traits, then you give each breed a rating score of say 1-10. The you ask a selection of questions that will narrow down the list and select based on traits. So say you don't want a dog with huge prey drive dogs with a score of say 6+ for example would be removed from the list. (Of course individuals vary but we're going with what the breed traits are.) The takers of the quiz can then futher research and figure out if the dog would actually suit them and what breeders are breeding dogs that'll agree with them. It's just meant to give a better and quicker idea of what dog breeds you want to research and may help give some of the rarer breeds more public attention.

The hardest part will be what questions to ask and balancing narrowing down options with not eliminating all dog breeds.

Registered
Some of the better quizzes do ask questions about shedding/exercise/training/living situations and let you also weight how important that factor is to you...I feel like being able to weight the factors, makes the quiz more valid.

But getting the right "answer" requires making a lot of assumptions about a breed...for instance, that all huskies will make great trail running buddies (most will, but some won't) and all collies are sweet friendly family dogs (we pass an aggressive collie on our walking loop, she is very scary). That's why it's a difficult task!

A bit offtopic, but there is an interesting book by Stanley Coren on matching dog's personalities to their owner's personalities which you might enjoy ...the human characteristics are based on OCEAN (Openness, Conscientiousness, Extroversion, Agreeableness, Neuroticism) which is a standard way to psychologically profile people:

(PS I took some of those quizzes, repeatedly got "Canaan dog" and "Belgian Malinois"! )

Registered
Hmm, here are some factors/scales which come to mind...

EXERCISE
very little, to daily 2 hrs

FRIENDLINESS
friendly to all, on a scale to suspicious/wary/protective

SIZE
tiny to huge

GROOMING
none, to pro grooming needed

CLEANLINESS/DROOLING/FUR

YOUR LIVING SPACE
apartment to farm

HOW MUCH YOU LIKE DOG TRAINING

HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE WITH DOGS

Registered
The first place I would start would be the individual breed's written standard. Most of them have a temperament section.

The second thing would be to define the terms in the temperament section. Example, to "protect and guard" in the GSD standard means a predisposition to human aggression vs territorial and protective for a Great Pyrenees which usually translates to dog aggression.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
FRIENDLINESS
friendly to all, on a scale to suspicious/wary/protective

CLEANLINESS/DROOLING/FUR

YOUR LIVING SPACE
apartment to farm

HOW MUCH YOU LIKE DOG TRAINING

HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE WITH DOGS
As far as friendliness goes I have DA and HA as separate along with a scale of how friendly they are likely to be to people, and am trying to decide if I want to add in SSA risk. I know a lot of people who for example only want female dogs. But a lot of that seems to be if the specific dogs personalities mesh or not from what I've seen, but I may be wrong.

How much you like training and experience level of handler are excellent ideas to add in rankings! Some dogs are certainly better than others for beginners although dedicated beginners can do well with difficult breeds especially if they get a good dog that suits them.

Living space may be a good idea but activity level would play a large part as well wouldn't it? Fenced vs. unfenced yard may be a good idea for breeds prone to being escape artists though. (Rethinking of some of MAWLs comments some dogs may vary not just apartment vs. house ect. but city living vs. country living.)

I do agree that individual dog personality does make it a lot more difficult and I do like the scales where you can rate. But I have repeatedly gotten dogs I know would never suit on every single one of those quizzes I have taken barring individual dogs that are nt of the ideal breed norm. As have many of my friends and family. It'll be the responsibility of the quiz taker to find an individual breeder and dog that suits them but it'll definitely help give them an idea of what breeds to look into.

I will have to figure out how to balance what traits are most important, I was thinking of doing say these traits are priority ect. in general. But perhaps selecting the traits most important? I'm not sure will have to think on that. I do know there will be two versions of the quiz, one shorter to appeal to general for fun public and one longer for people who really want to try to get a good idea of breeds to look at.

That personality book looking at the comments and first pages sounds kind of like a hot mess. Although psychology is fascinating. I was able to fit a social psychology class into my courseload this semester.

The first place I would start would be the individual breed's written standard. Most of them have a temperament section.

The second thing would be to define the terms in the temperament section. Example, to "protect and guard" in the GSD standard means a predisposition to human aggression vs territorial and protective for a Great Pyrenees which usually translates to dog aggression.
That's a good idea on looking for traits. I was also working on finding out which traits are the ones most people look at when deciding on dog breeds and what traits are the most likely to get a dog rehomed if they don't match up. There is also the dog breed rater online that scores the dogs on traits from 1-5. I will probably use that as needed. But I also want to do surveys and have people rate their dogs to see how the breeds average out to. I'm going to try to weed out byb bred dogs as much as possible when doing those surveys. (I have a few funny stories about pyrenese. Cool dogs for sure.)

The traits I have listed right now in my brainstorming

Bonding. 1 person v. family (How to factor this in exactly?)
Human friendliness
Human aggression
Dog friendliness
Dog aggression
Softness (sensitivity to corrections etc.)
Sensitivity (sounds etc maybe? Can remove, was softness)
Stubbornness
Trainability (More than 1 category? Add in how much owner enjoys training a dog, if low perhaps suggest adopting an older dog in the results? Can backfire I suppose as some older dogs need a tooon of work not less.)
Intensity (hard to explain but balls to the walls vs. more laid back. More individual dog temperament?)
Energy levels (Rough exercise requirement)
Noise level
Roaming/Escaping (Trustworthiness off leash? How much is training vs. breed. Example some hounds taking off even with pretty extensive hunting training.)
Prey drive
Erect/floppy ears (I don't want to do many appearance traits but this can be a big one for some people.)
Brachycephalic (Some people can't stand it. vs others love it)
Tendency to drool
Grooming requirements
Size
Coat type (Curly, wirey, long, short, double coat?)
Separation Anxiety
Sports ie. agility, dog diving, herding
*Handler experience level recommended? Could see some variance in show lines vs. working lines here. Is it wise to encourage splits or is it just being realistic about it?

Registered
I can鈥檛 help but good luck. We need a good quiz. None of it matters, though, if shelters and poor breeders are selling mixes as purebreds. We see that over and over again here with the 鈥渨hat breed is my puppy?鈥 threads. Maybe match it with a good article on how to find the right puppy or rescue.

Registered
One thing missing is a mini analysis of the person themselves.

I know of people with the right mindset and temperament that can easily take on a strong working dog as a first time dog owner while I know of so many more that aren't novices that I would recommend they get a Golden or an English Lab.

It's not always about what you like or want, it can also be about one's own temperament. IMO, some breeds require a no non sense owner while others would suffocate under the same regime.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
One thing missing is a mini analysis of the person themselves.

I know of people with the right mindset and temperament that can easily take on a strong working dog as a first time dog owner while I know of so many more that aren't novices that I would recommend they get a Golden or an English Lab.

It's not always about what you like or want, it can also be about one's own temperament. IMO, some breeds require a no non sense owner while others would suffocate under the same regime.
That will be a part of the quiz itself. The harder part of figuring out what questions to ask. Right now I'm first trying to get the dog traits worked out, one part at a time basically.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I can鈥檛 help but good luck. We need a good quiz. None of it matters, though, if shelters and poor breeders are selling mixes as purebreds. We see that over and over again here with the 鈥渨hat breed is my puppy?鈥 threads. Maybe match it with a good article on how to find the right puppy or rescue.
There will definitely be that added on to the links once the quiz is done. I'm thinking perhaps the quiz will have a simple webpage that links to things like finding a responsible breeder, the importance of training your puppy etc.

Even more work but perhaps over time trying to make a list of reputable breeders that get linked to. Breeders would have to apply to get added onto the list so most wouldn't. Perhaps some breeders would get asked if they could be added into the list based on recommendations but some may not want added publicity from something like that.

Registered
As far as friendliness goes I have DA and HA as separate along with a scale of how friendly they are likely to be to people, and am trying to decide if I want to add in SSA risk. I know a lot of people who for example only want female dogs. But a lot of that seems to be if the specific dogs personalities mesh or not from what I've seen, but I may be wrong.

How much you like training and experience level of handler are excellent ideas to add in rankings! Some dogs are certainly better than others for beginners although dedicated beginners can do well with difficult breeds especially if they get a good dog that suits them.

Living space may be a good idea but activity level would play a large part as well wouldn't it? Fenced vs. unfenced yard may be a good idea for breeds prone to being escape artists though. (Rethinking of some of MAWLs comments some dogs may vary not just apartment vs. house ect. but city living vs. country living.)

I do agree that individual dog personality does make it a lot more difficult and I do like the scales where you can rate. But I have repeatedly gotten dogs I know would never suit on every single one of those quizzes I have taken barring individual dogs that are nt of the ideal breed norm. As have many of my friends and family. It'll be the responsibility of the quiz taker to find an individual breeder and dog that suits them but it'll definitely help give them an idea of what breeds to look into.

I will have to figure out how to balance what traits are most important, I was thinking of doing say these traits are priority ect. in general. But perhaps selecting the traits most important? I'm not sure will have to think on that. I do know there will be two versions of the quiz, one shorter to appeal to general for fun public and one longer for people who really want to try to get a good idea of breeds to look at.

That personality book looking at the comments and first pages sounds kind of like a hot mess. Although psychology is fascinating. I was able to fit a social psychology class into my courseload this semester.

That's a good idea on looking for traits. I was also working on finding out which traits are the ones most people look at when deciding on dog breeds and what traits are the most likely to get a dog rehomed if they don't match up. There is also the dog breed rater online that scores the dogs on traits from 1-5. I will probably use that as needed. But I also want to do surveys and have people rate their dogs to see how the breeds average out to. I'm going to try to weed out byb bred dogs as much as possible when doing those surveys. (I have a few funny stories about pyrenese. Cool dogs for sure.)

The traits I have listed right now in my brainstorming

Bonding. 1 person v. family (How to factor this in exactly?)
Human friendliness
Human aggression
Dog friendliness
Dog aggression
Softness (sensitivity to corrections etc.)
Sensitivity (sounds etc maybe? Can remove, was softness)
Stubbornness
Trainability (More than 1 category? Add in how much owner enjoys training a dog, if low perhaps suggest adopting an older dog in the results? Can backfire I suppose as some older dogs need a tooon of work not less.)
Intensity (hard to explain but balls to the walls vs. more laid back. More individual dog temperament?)
Energy levels (Rough exercise requirement)
Noise level
Roaming/Escaping (Trustworthiness off leash? How much is training vs. breed. Example some hounds taking off even with pretty extensive hunting training.)
Prey drive
Erect/floppy ears (I don't want to do many appearance traits but this can be a big one for some people.)
Brachycephalic (Some people can't stand it. vs others love it)
Tendency to drool
Grooming requirements
Size
Coat type (Curly, wirey, long, short, double coat?)
Separation Anxiety
Sports ie. agility, dog diving, herding
*Handler experience level recommended? Could see some variance in show lines vs. working lines here. Is it wise to encourage splits or is it just being realistic about it?
Just a couple of suggestions?How about turning energy levels in to exercise needs? It just makes more sense, but whatever. Kid friendly? That's big for some people. oh, also I definitely think you should do experience level. It might be helpful.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Just a couple of suggestions?How about turning energy levels in to exercise needs? It just makes more sense, but whatever. Kid friendly? That's big for some people. oh, also I definitely think you should do experience level. It might be helpful.
Energy level will be exercise needs, it's just a difference in phrasing. Not that it will say so in the quiz. I will definitely consider kid friendly just a harder one to rate. For example many large dogs are good with kids but can pretty easily send them flying or knock them over. Will have to think of that one and figure out how exactly to factor it in and see if there are specific breeds best avoided if you have children. I suppose some dog breeds wouldn't be a good idea just by if a lot of friends come over maybe.

Super Moderator
(PS I took some of those quizzes, repeatedly got "Canaan dog" and "Belgian Malinois"! )
I鈥檓 not sure which question does it, but I鈥檝e repeatedly gotten basset hound. Makes me laugh.

Registered
I鈥檓 not sure which question does it, but I鈥檝e repeatedly gotten basset hound. Makes me laugh.
I took several of the online dog breed selectors and even adjusted my answers several times. None of them recommended a GSD ever!

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I took several of the online dog breed selectors and even adjusted my answers several times. None of them recommended a GSD ever!
They are funny dogs Fodder, if they're making you laugh already surely you need one!

I don't think I've ever gotten GSD either. Today on one of them I got belgian malinois (probably not) and doodles...how does that even happen especially since I said I wanted low grooming and they're mutts.

I took the iams one and it seems sorta decent as least compared to others, but the others were so awful.

I think on sizing I'm going to do weight ranges instead of medium, large etc. After having an english mastiff I consider medium dogs much larger than most.

Registered
Sounds like a great start for a fine-tuned, in-depth quiz - very useful!

You will need developers to make your quiz? I have a client who creates behavioral health assessments...apparently there is a lot of code that goes into the rating/ranking of answers! Although Data Security/HIPAA is a big deal for their quizzes and I don't think your quiz would need more than normal Privacy.

Maybe you could get sponsors/advertisers on the site if it becomes popular...so at least it can pay for its own hosting :) .

@Fodder
I know a lady with a basset hound named Sadie. I thought Rumo was Nose-obsessed, but the first time I met her, this dog stood there sniffing each of my sneakers carefully for a few minutes, very slowly and thoroughly! What a Nosy Nose!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts