German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this mentioned a few times: that dogs are very perceptive even mimic their owner's emotions. That a dog raised by calm owner will be calm, a dog raised by an upbeat owner will be upbeat and so on. I do believe it's somewhat true. But is it also dependent on breed how much human emotion rubs off on the dog?

Smokey (my husky) is a rescue and came to us around 6 months old. He is calm, dominant, courageous, quiet-almost pensive-and sociable with humans.

Zeeva came to us from a breeder. She is wary, anxious-almost OCDish-submissive, vocal and fearful. She's been more of a loon lately and as some of you pointed out it may be because of my own distress?

But Smokey has never been more calm and collected. I think he's also maturing as he is 4 1/2ish (?) now.

Do you think if I feel better Zeeva will be better?

Do others that have different dog breeds notice that despite personality differences between dogs, that the overall mood of all your dogs combined mimics yours? Or are they all aloof and your emotional state has nothing to do with theirs? Does one of your dog breeds attune more to your emotions than another?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If you feel better, you will be able to handle Zeeva better. That in turn will give her more confidence in you and her behavior will show it.

I know on days that I am not feeling good, stressed, mind completely on other things or just blah - I do not do any type of training with Woolf. He picks up on those moods almost immediately and it goes down hill from there.

I have Woolf and Shadow, my Lab. Both pick up on the moods; Woolf is more in tune with me and Shadow - being a daddy's girl, reacts more strongly to DH's moods.

It is normal to have blah days occasionally, we all do. But if they continue and there is more blah days then not, seriously consider some outside counseling.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
By getting Zeva, probably, you wanted to have a replica of the dog you already had, friendly and moderate, you, probably thought, that husky and GSD go nicely together. Yes, of course, it's true. The trouble that GSD you have doesn't much GSD characteristics entirely. Here could be two reasons for such: defects in breeding programme, or your dog's age. I'm, personally, inclined to think she is too young to judge her. You, in the eyes of your young member of the pack, don't encourage her, protect her and secure her worries to the sufficient effect. Your young bitch should be a "winner" more often in situations concocted artificially for her. Try to visit 3-4 times places where other young bitches behave bravely, such as Schutzhund clubs without participating in the game, just sitting there with her and watching.
What about communication by means of our mimics - it is not the same as mimicking. We start communicating with our dog by looking straight into his eyes, we frown - he knows we are not happy with him, we murmur "Good boy!" and smile - he receives it as a sort of his doggie's personal upgrade. Here is a very peculiar twist in it: if your smile isn't genuine, if you pull your facial muscles for the sake of encouraging your dog in situation with one of her scary-crows - your smile won't work, moreover, your dog will understand it as it was yet another threat crawling from the other side. So, please, don't rely on this subject of mimics too much. I'd rather press on general obedience course. Fearful she is, or she is not, she should walk beside you without pulling the lead.
I belive, it is true, dogs remind their owners from inside. Could it be vice versa? I believe, it could. The character our dog posesses could be stronger than our own, ther stamina brighter than ours, and, subsequently, they influence us. What I like about GSD the most - he organizes his owner, asks him to be disciplined. You may like to show your dog examples of behaviour - try to dig through self-analysis, possibly, you should exercise discipline over yourself first. Discipline is a good cure against fear. Nice, gentle, but strict.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Zeeva I dont know if this helps but I read somewhere that Huskies like most Nordic breeds are kind of independent b/c you want your sled dog to not take you into dangerous areas so they disagree w/ their handlers more often b/c they are bred to be independent. GSDs from what I read were bred to work w/ a handler I think they pick up on us more. I think any working breed dog takes longer to mature so Smoky is a grown up but Zeeva think 12 to 15 year old girl or maybe 17 year old. As Ive said before Daisy's first three years coinsisted of me apologizing to loads of people and in general replacing our personal property. I have no breeder qualifications just sharing what I've read and what I've been through.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Do others that have different dog breeds notice that despite personality differences between dogs, that the overall mood of all your dogs combined mimics yours? Or are they all aloof and your emotional state has nothing to do with theirs? Does one of your dog breeds attune more to your emotions than another?
I have the two GSDs and one Weimaraner. Definitely, I can get them all wound up if I'm behaving excitedly. I can also get them all to slow down and relax if I'm behaving calmly.

As for my mood, though, the GSDs are more attuned. My next door neighbor and dear friend moved about 17 hours away this past Saturday. I let myself cry a little as I watched her go. Lillian (Weim) didn't care a whit, just went about her business of inspecting the empty porch next door. Jack (GSD) wouldn't leave my side until I got my act together. Mattie (senior GSD) never leaves my side to begin with, so not much change there. They are the reason I didn't let myself cry for long. It's a lot more fun to play fetch than mourn, hehe!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts