German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted our Thor, a 6 year old GSD, from the Humane Society a week ago. He favors his right hip, which I will address with the vet this week. He's currently on Rimadyl. I've noticed that he's stiffer when it's cold and rainy and in the morning, which makes me suspect arthritis.

My concern is that he slides a bit on our hardwood floors, which I'm sure is uncomfortable. I'm also concerned about stairs. We live in a 3 story house, with the bedrooms being on the 2nd story. I can block him from the steps upstairs, but we have 5 steps going from the porches to the ground.

Have any of you used dog boots, and if so, which brand would you recommend? At this point, I'm inclined to use them only on his back paws, but I'll put them on the front during the winter, to protect him from the salted steps and sidewalks.

I'm concerned that they allow his paws to breathe properly, so I'll probably take them off at night. I've already done some research and I'm inclined toward Ultra Paws durable, or Bark-n boots Griptex. I've taken accurate measurements of his front and back paws (width, length, and over the top arches); his back paws are a full 1/2" smaller than his front.

What would you do under these circumstances?

Sorry for the loss of detail in this photo. I just took it with my cellphone. Thor is patiently waiting for Dad to come downstairs to play!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
hi diane, you'll most likely need to do a combination of stair restriction, rugs, and boots since the booties are not recommended to be worn all day - not only for breathing purposes but you don't want to create soft or sensitive feet due to his rear feet no longer experiencing normal use/textures/traction. you'll need to stay on top of his nail trims more regularly too.

since you're looking to purchase boots for multiple uses, I'd certainly go with ruffwear as they are the most durable. I'm including a link where they can not only be purchased for a great price but they're also sold in pairs enabling you to buy 2 different sizes (and you'd be supporting guide dogs!! :) )

best of luck!

Dog Booties - $17.50 : Guide Dogs for the Blind

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you are on fb, the tumeric user group may be of help with his arthritis. https://www.facebook.com/groups/415313751866609/?fref=ts
I can't suggest dog boot brands, I put rugs at the base of our stairs so the dogs don't slip when running down them.
I have rugs too. In fact, he's laying on one at the base of the steps waiting for my husband to come down in the photo. I have areas of exposed hardwood. He doesn't slip much in the house, but it happens when he's excited. I worry about the winter, on the outside steps where there are no rugs.

Thank you very much for the link, I truly appreciate it.

I've started him on turmeric for the inflammation, as well as glucosamine chondroitin MSM. As a clinical biochemist, I prefer to avoid or delay drug therapy as long as possible. I'm continuing the Rimadyl, since it can take a couple of weeks for the effects of anti inflammatory measures to be fully achieved.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi diane, you'll most likely need to do a combination of stair restriction, rugs, and boots since the booties are not recommended to be worn all day - not only for breathing purposes but you don't want to create soft or sensitive feet due to his rear feet no longer experiencing normal use/textures/traction. you'll need to stay on top of his nail trims more regularly too.

since you're looking to purchase boots for multiple uses, I'd certainly go with ruffwear as they are the most durable. I'm including a link where they can not only be purchased for a great price but they're also sold in pairs enabling you to buy 2 different sizes (and you'd be supporting guide dogs!! :) )

best of luck!

Dog Booties - $17.50 : Guide Dogs for the Blind
I agree about not using them all the time. I'll check out the link. Thanks again for your response.

·
Registered
550 Posts
For arthritis, Adequan is great! I highly recommend it. Adequan is an injectable arthritis medication that lubricates the joints. I have used it on two dogs with great results. Rimadyl is a painkiller and does help the arthritis. Adequan is completely different. Ask your vet for a prescription and to show you how to inject it. I do it myself.

Dog boots: Ruffwear make great boots. One of my dogs wore them.
You could also put rug runners so he has an easier time walking. My older dogs also had a hard time with hardwood floors.

·
Registered
550 Posts
For arthritis, Adequan is great! I highly recommend it. Adequan is an injectable arthritis medication that lubricates the joints. I have used it on two dogs with great results. Rimadyl is a painkiller and does NOT help the arthritis. Adequan is completely different. Ask your vet for a prescription and to show you how to inject it. I do it myself.

Dog boots: Ruffwear make great boots. One of my dogs wore them.
You could also put rug runners so he has an easier time walking. My older dogs also had a hard time with hardwood floors.
Meant to write Rimadyl does NOT help arthritis.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I don't have a recommendation for inside boots, but we use Pawz disposable boots for bad winter weather on our Pittie. She has terribly sensitive feet and these have helped a great deal. They look like a balloon! They stay on better than her "nice" boots ever did.

Good luck with Thor! He's very handsome. :)

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Instead of boots, which most dogs hate, for inside use, please look at Dr. Buzby's Toe Grips:
https://www.toegrips.com/

Theyare rubber rings that fit over the toe nails and give instant traction. They feel natural to the dog. One of our rescue's adopters who has an older dog with some ataxia and arthritis has seen a HUGE improvement in the dog with these toe grips.

I also agree re Adequan--please do some forum searching about arthritis. We've had many excellent threads about Adequan and effective supplements that improve quality of life, and might even allow you to gradually fade away the NSAID (rimadyl) over time, without her pain coming back.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Instead of boots, which most dogs hate, for inside use, please look at Dr. Buzby's Toe Grips:
https://www.toegrips.com/

Theyare rubber rings that fit over the toe nails and give instant traction. They feel natural to the dog. One of our rescue's adopters who has an older dog with some ataxia and arthritis has seen a HUGE improvement in the dog with these toe grips.

I also agree re Adequan--please do some forum searching about arthritis. We've had many excellent threads about Adequan and effective supplements that improve quality of life, and might even allow you to gradually fade away the NSAID (rimadyl) over time, without her pain coming back.
Toe grips! What a great idea. I wish I had them in 2007 with my older dogs. I will keep that in mind if I think my dog would need them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts