German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually take my 6 mos gsd male with me to the barn when i ride and he hangs out in a stall for an hour or so. lately, the weather has gotten super cold (low 30s w/ 20 mph winds during the day) so i wonder if he needs to wear a dog blanket--my horse does when the temp goes below the mid 50s.

anyone with suggestions? if it helps, i would likely get a rambo or weatherbeeta that is waterproof.

Thank you!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Is there wood shavings in the stall? You could just put a blanket in there with him. How long do you stay out? I wouldn't bother if it's in the 30s. Where are you located?

You put a blanket on your horse at 50? If I did that, my poor guy would melt. :) I put a weatherbeeta sheet on him at about 25-30 and a blanket when it's in the teens.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I don't think you need a blanket for just about any temp with these GSD's. We've been in teens and low 20's all week and I practically have to drag Elsa inside.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The other day I saw someone walking a rottie with a blanket, and it was probably in the 50's or 60's.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I thought about getting one for Dante but my SO and trainer would have a stroke....:rolleyes::D

Not to mention it wouldn't stay on long with roughhousing.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I think with GSD they are fine, I had the same problem our one wants to play out in the snow consistently they are running around so much. I worry more about the padding of their feet especially it is very cold and there is ice and snow that can stick to their pads. That is what I find will bother them first vs being cold.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You put a blanket on your horse at 50? If I did that, my poor guy would melt. :) I put a weatherbeeta sheet on him at about 25-30 and a blanket when it's in the teens.
I agree, mine would be sweating. Going against nature is not good. Animals need to acclamate to the temps, if the pup has been going with you all along he's probably ok, unless you have seen him shivering. I let my horses grow winter coats, I don't clip them. I don't start blanketing untill the temps are in the low 30's, only at night. Wind chills make a difference also. My 34 yr old horse has his blanket on 24/7 now unless its in the 40's he's a skinny little old man now. My other horse I just put his blanket on last night because the wind has been wicked here on Long Island. They are both turned out 24/7. My dogs love the cold. I'm not sure how the baby (10 months old) will take the bitter sub 0 temps I don't think her coat is that thick yet. She hasn't shown any signs of being cold. Lately they aren't out that long. She loves playing with the ice from the horses water buckets.
My first GSD used to find the snow piles to lay on, I used to tell my husband to leave a pile on the deck for him, sure enough he would lay on the pile of snow.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
He should be fine. Siren doesn't get cold when it is 0 degrees. And my horses are also fine. The other day it was -8 degrees and they acted just like they do when it is 50. (I do NOT blanket them either.)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hehe side note...Lkokonut and I just figured out that her 6month old and my Brody are brothers!! :)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
If the GSD is inside the barn I don't see why he would need anything.
Outside is another story.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He would be in a stall w/ bedding and its in Montgomery County Md (I live in va tho). I just figured if he wasn't doing anything terribly active, he might get a little chilly.

As for the horses, most are clipped about twice over fall/winter (for competing) so they do get a sheet in the 50s and to make sure their hair doesnt go shetland. ;) Unclipped, obviously not.

I do love the new joules weatherbeeta polka dot dog blanket tho- too bad its a little too girly for him

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I was just going to come back here and comment that your horses were probably clipped so needed something for their bald little bodies! But body clip = savior to the winter months!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I wondered too if you had competition horses after I asked. :) Up here, we blanket ours so they don't grow their winter coat since Congress is in October.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts