German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was unsure where to put this, as it is mostly just the meanderings of my mind. I volunteer at a shelter, so hear about "bit histories," etc. I am thinking that anymore people do not know the difference between a dog bite and a dog "attack." Back when I was a child, dog bites were something that mainly happend only to children, almost always a result of either a child's meanness or foolishness. From what I can remember, usually the dog was neither held responsible, not blamed and the parents usually took a "serves you right" attitude. Dog attacks on the other hand almost never happened. I think because almost all humans had leadership skills back then and it would not have crossed a dog's mind to attack a human; wouldn't have wanted to, nor would they have dared. If a dog did "attack," it would have been put down immediately without question. It just seems to me that people no longer know the difference and every nip is considered a huge, serious affair.

Humans also had the leadership to parent without child rearing classes too, LOL, but that's another story...

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
agree... big difference between a "go away, leave me alone" bite, and a "i'm going to enjoy hurting you" bite.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I swear it all started when that women got burned by the coffee at McDonalds and sued...seriously:)
There was some merit to that case... she had major burns requiring skin grafts, loss of sexual pleasure, etc.. if you're handing something that dangerous to someone, it should have better containment and clearer warnings..

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
agreed there's a difference. i also think most bites could be avoided if parents supervised and taught their kids how to act around dogs a little better.

other day wife and i were walking our dogs off leash down abandoned RR tracks (only secluded place around). a little 5 year old was playing in his front yard of the last house of a dead end that ends just before the tracks. he saw us, ran off his yard, down the last 30 feet of street and started running up this little dirt foot path going up to the tracks the whole time screaming "doggie doggie". he made it about 5 feet from one of our dogs before she barked and charged at him a few feet. little kid then turned and started running away screaming in fear. we were about 20 feet from the dog and called her to us and luckily she listened and didn't chase the kid. she is trained to completely ignore strangers but has never dealt with anything like that. she was in full defensive mode. if that kid got any closer to her he would've gotten bit. not attacked but definitely bit. in the eyes of animal control it would've been our fault.

stupid kids. /rant

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Scarfish I think I would have called the dog to me and leashed her the second I saw the kid start toward her. Glad the dog listened.

A little warning nop these days is an 'attack'. A barking dog that scares someone is an attack. Most people anymore are real candy butts.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure the liability issue is a huge part. If most folks can somehow get rich without working, and especially if they figure insurance is going to pay them (in other words it won't hurt any one individual) they are going to do it. Also, I think people are so overprotective of their children anymore. Kids are no longer made to take responsibility for their own actions. OMG I am starting to sound like a dinosaur again!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
the whole thing happened so fast, seconds. by the time we realized what was happening the kid was already almost to the tracks. our dog was also off the tracks to the side of the street. when i first realized the kid was running towards her i did call her but not in the loudest voice and she didn't immediately come. took a second call but by that time she had already barked at him and he was running away. then she ran towards us. she was scolded for her failure to immediately come under distraction and she'll have her Ecollar on next time off leash and she's not allowed to have as much distance from us anymore.

she has always been fine with immediate recalls from other distractions, dogs to squirrels and everything in between. we never dealt with someone charging and screaming. in a sense i'm kinda proud she has a good protective instinct.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I’m young, but I have a feeling there were “dog attacks” back in the day, you just didn’t have facebook or twitter to find out about some small news story that happened all the way across the country in a non-existent town that no one cares about. It amazes me every day how I have people from my area sharing “lost dog” posts from California or some other faraway place as if someone in Wisconsin is then going to find the dog. But that’s how connected we are now…

Won’t know for sure, but I feel that a story like the one about the cat protecting the kid from the dog, would’ve just been local news back then, it wouldn’t have “gone viral” and forced the national media to pick it up.

There was a rescue just south of me that just got shut down due to bad conditions...how many of you have heard about it? I wouldn't be surprised if someone did, or if no one did. Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
the whole thing happened so fast, seconds. by the time we realized what was happening the kid was already almost to the tracks. our dog was also off the tracks to the side of the street. when i first realized the kid was running towards her i did call her but not in the loudest voice and she didn't immediately come. took a second call but by that time she had already barked at him and he was running away. then she ran towards us. she was scolded for her failure to immediately come under distraction and she'll have her Ecollar on next time off leash and she's not allowed to have as much distance from us anymore.

she has always been fine with immediate recalls from other distractions, dogs to squirrels and everything in between. we never dealt with someone charging and screaming. in a sense i'm kinda proud she has a good protective instinct.
Thank goodness.... You can now feel safe around screaming five year olds....

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Martemchik, you are absolutely right. I'm sure plenty went on that we just didn't know about. Still I don't think people usually went off the deep end about a simple dog bite.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Social Media. If I created a post that titled 'My dog bit me' - some folks may read out of curiousity. But if I created a post that titled 'My dog attacked me' - everyone would want to read it.

Same thing as driving by an automobile accident. You can't help but to look. You really don't want to, but you do.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I was unsure where to put this, as it is mostly just the meanderings of my mind. I volunteer at a shelter, so hear about "bit histories," etc. I am thinking that anymore people do not know the difference between a dog bite and a dog "attack." Back when I was a child, dog bites were something that mainly happend only to children, almost always a result of either a child's meanness or foolishness. From what I can remember, usually the dog was neither held responsible, not blamed and the parents usually took a "serves you right" attitude. Dog attacks on the other hand almost never happened. I think because almost all humans had leadership skills back then and it would not have crossed a dog's mind to attack a human; wouldn't have wanted to, nor would they have dared. If a dog did "attack," it would have been put down immediately without question. It just seems to me that people no longer know the difference and every nip is considered a huge, serious affair.

Humans also had the leadership to parent without child rearing classes too, LOL, but that's another story...
When I was a kid we always had dogs, and if we got bit, we got the spanking, because my parents knew that the only reason the dog would bite us is if we teased or hurt it.

Right now we have children who were raised by young parents who didn't know how to parent, having babies themselves, without a single clue about how to raise a child. It started when the family unit began breaking down, and it is perpetuating itself. But THAT's for another thread, undoubtedly another forum.

Susan

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
I think there are several factors.

1. More pet owners. It seems many of the attacks happen in populated areas. More city dwellers are owning dogs now.
2. More stupid people. We were in Lowe's last weekend and Seger sniffed a girl as she walked by. I heard her, couldn't help to not hear her since she screamed it, say "that dog just tried to bite me". Moron.
3. More aggressive dogs (dog fighting rings, people thinking they are cool)
4. To many dogs drinking McDonald's coffee.
5. Poor breeding. When I was a kid, nobody I knew had a purebred. Because there is more of a demand for animals, there are more BYB's and puppy mills pumping out anxiety ridden hot messes.
6. Social media, 24/7 news...we just hear more about it now than we did. When we were kids, a dog attacked and it got shot right there. It didn't go to the news, it just got dead. ****, we had a rooster attack us and the woman cut it's head off right in front of us with an axe. Hillbilly central right there.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Overcome by circumstances

I've learned to pay careful attention to our surroundings and the actions of other dogs and people when I walk Zeus. I don't find that all to difficult as I'm six feet tall and the tallest Zeus' eyes can be is about 3 ft. I see things long before he does.

When absolutely anything happens that I think might end up in a situation I communicate with the dog either telling him to platz (come here and heal) or sit / stay or lay down or easy. I just don't let him decide what he's going to do. I decide.

But it takes practice. And, even though we've done this for more than a year still once in a while I am thinking of something else and not paying enough attention that I get surprised by Zeus' sudden reaction to events.

Stay ahead of the dog's thinking. That's all I can recommend.

LF

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have worked at the shelter for 3.5 years and got my first real bite today. I have broken up pit fights, handled many GSDs and other "bully breeds" just in off the streets, and never once been bit. A chi/doxie mix got me in the hand today. He was not immediately sent to death row. I have been rabies vaccinated so there is no concern there and he has been with us for over a week so I'm sure he doesn't have rabies. What did happen is that we went ahead with his medical. I gave him his shots and then we started talking about why he squawls and nips when someone picks him up. Found out two things...his glands under his neck are very swollen so he might have an infection or be in pain. We stated an antibiotic. Also he is absolutely terrified of leashes or anything around his neck. He has probably been abused. We decide to take him off adoption hall so as to prevent a bite to a potential adopter and to put him back in intake, finish his meds and keep trying to have staff work with him to see if he comes around.

It does kind of make me gloat a little that my first real bite is from a chi and NOT a bully breed :)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would just make sure there is no paper trail, so he won't have that notorious bite history. That's what I mean. It was a bite, caused by most likely healthy problems and probably fear, not an "attack." Thanks for doing what you do.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
haven't read all the posts, but a personal observation is poor breeding and poor puppy placement. one would think a golden as one of the many breeds that you would not think of as a biter. yet it seems this i becoming more common as is a high drive working line gsd placed into the family as a first time dog owner.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
haven't read all the posts, but a personal observation is poor breeding and poor puppy placement. one would think a golden as one of the many breeds that you would not think of as a biter. yet it seems this i becoming more common as is a high drive working line gsd placed into the family as a first time dog owner.
Not a Lab or Golden fan myself.

Though my first dog was a BullMastiff/APBT/Lab mix so I cut labs a break! :) We rescued a persistent run away Golden once. Dog was an Ahole! Had a sense of entitlement to him! More that happy to see him on his way! :)

But as a dog person, I have noticed that Labs/GR seem to be changing? And not in a good way! Kinda sad. :(

And yes much more media coverage and todays kids (parents)?? Can be cry babies! I see was nipped by a Dobbie as a kid. Guy was calling the dog, dog did not respond. I stopped to face the dog. Dog stopped spread his legs in a crouch about 8 feet from me and then disappeared!!! Next thing I know I get nipped in the back of the leg???

I thought "wow" that dog is freaking fast!! :)

Never told my parents.."hey crap happens!" :) Things did seem to be simpler back in the day!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts