German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

so I went with my wife yesterday to a dog park to meet her friends for a dog play date. we went in and there was another one of her friends there already with her dog it was a small dog but it was like 2 year old and it was the same size as my puupy, i am not sure what is the breed so we came in slowly and start introducing them and first the other dog tried to but him and then we pulled them back and then we tried again and then that other dog bite my puppy on his nose and it started bleeding for like 15 min. i cleaned it and then when we were going home i got alchol wipes and called the vet and he said to use newsborn i think on it and i got the spray and used it on it. so that other dog was on a time out for the whole time and my dog was barking at any dog that comes near him, i had him one the leash and my hands on him trying to calm him down.

my question is should i be conserned that he will be aggressive twords other dogs? he also barks when he see's any other dog he starts barking at them. what should i do? or any recommendation that i should be worried about?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm no dog expert but I would like to think your puppy should be fine ,as long as any new meetings are in a positive manner. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in on this matter. I hope the pup is feeling better ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the word, but I would strongly recommend that for the next bit you make an extra effort to get him around other dogs and people, so as to get him used to meeting strangers. Kinda like the whole get back on the horse after falling off concept...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree, if you coddle him and keep him away from dogs and people now after he was bit it will encourage him to be uneasy around them. Get him back in the game and playing with well behaved dogs and people, and encourage him to greet polietly, and not headrush anyone.

I know when Kratos gets super excitable he just RUSHES another dog's face, and some dogs are very uneasy about being rushed. What we do is we'll have Kratos sit and I'll let the dog say hi to him first, this allows Kratos to be greeted without freaking another dog out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts