German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my gsd at home along with a Maltese and a wiener dog. My gsd tends to want to maintain her dominance and bites them on the neck. She's 3 months old and is teething. I'm not sure if she's just playing and it's more rough than what they are use to because she is bigger than they are or if she's just biting them. How could I correct this behavior? I have tried to stand in between her and the two dogs but she just finds ways to avoid me. I've held her collar in extreme cases where she just won't stop.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My female done this to my male dog since i got her. It also escalated into her humping him and generally dominating him. I would run towards her and stop when she let go. If not I'd give her a slap of a flexi stick. I stopped it in the garden but when the dogs were off leash out side she would still do it. She would stalk him and pin him be the neck.

I needed a correction which would work from a distance. I started hitting her with a stone if she was going for him and now just need to say off and she will stop. I also strengthened up the male and encouraged him to look after himself so now he does growl if she is trying anything. I used the stone method with her going after swans too and it did work too.

·
Registered
705 Posts
One part of the problem might be energy level. Exercise your pup so that it doesn't need to play with the other dogs. I have a Lab, and when Minka was a puppy she would either be out with me exercising, in her kennel, or in the house sleeping. If she started to pester the Lab then I knew she needed to be exercised so outside we would go for 10 or 15 minutes. When she came back in, she was content to lay around instead of getting into trouble.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
A 3-month old needs lots of exercise. Everytime the over excited behavior starts - outside for a game of chase or fetch or tug - not as a reward but as training to relax in the house. The exercise periods don't need to be long - 15 minutes can wear out a pup. Remember - a tired puppy is a good puppy. Don't allow the pup to dominate the smaller dogs like chewing on the neck, etc as it could grow as the pup gets stronger and he could hurt one without really meaning to. Whenever he starts to chew on the other's neck or bite, separate them with the pup on a leash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts