German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have been searching threads and looking at all types of dog beds. We will be getting our puppy in about 6 weeks and want one here when she arrives. Our MinPin sleeps on our bed, but I would like to have our GSD sleep in our room on bed on the floor after she is housetrained and allowed out of her crate. I have found a few recommended beds:

The Kuranda cot
The Molly Mutt
Kirkland beds
Mammoth

Here are my questions:
What are the advantages of a cot style bed?
What size is best for an adult GSD? The Costco Kirkland bed I found and liked is 36"x40" and I am not sure if that will be big enough.
Our minpin likes to rest her head on the edge of her crate bed, like a pillow. Do you find that dogs seem to prefer the bolster type or beds with edges opposed to a flat bed?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
I don't really see the advantage of getting a bed before the pup comes... especially if you plan to crate train and seeing as tho some beds cost a pretty penny. you'll learn a great deal about your pup over the first 6 months (at least imo) while earning the trust to be out overnight. what you learn and observe may dictate what type of bed you decide on.

one of my boys sleeps in a ball and prefers plush surfaces... the other sleeps sprawled on his side and likes flatter surfaces. I have several bed options and each of them gravitate to different ones. my previous girl needed an ortho bed for joint issues. their adult sizes varied too - 22" @ 55lbs, 25" @ 60lbs and 27" @ 85lbs.

so personally I'd wait.

that said - I love Costco beds! good quality, lots of variety, cheap price. I also love kuranda beds... virtually indestructible but I wouldn't care for one in my bedroom.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine ate his bed (that was chew proof) he is land sharking ..lol... ? he has a big cheap Tractor Supply fake Kong bed until he stops biting everything to hang out on during day... he sleeps in crate with nothing in it....

It's probably a good idea to wait and invest in the bed later...

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I use Kirland with older dogs, nothing with a young puppy until they are done chewing. I've seen Kuranda cots used at a dog daycare. They hold up well, just about indestructible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Yeah, it is probably a good idea to wait. We are planning on a ex pen in our kitchen on our tile floor while she is learning house manners and housetraining. I was just thinking she would need something soft to rest on. I figured a blanket would get chewed up as well. Maybe she will be okay sleeping on the floor?

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Mine didn't have a choice. He shredded everything until 5 months so it wasn't safe to give him a bed. At 7 months, I put a nice bed in his crate at night. As long as I am in the room, he doesn't chew on it. You can try a furniture pad from Home Depot or something else that would be harder to rip on the tile floor and see how he does. Mine would shred towels and blankets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts