German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kias is old enough that we are going to start letting him hang around more in the house, and we wanted to purchase a dog bed. Trouble is: there are so many out there I don't know which to choose! Preferably we want a large, heavy duty one that can stand some ruffing. Does anyone have any recommendations or prefer a certain brand or type?
Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Staff: I didn't know where to put this thread. Apologies if it's in the wrong place.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We have a Kong bed that the young puppy has inherited. He does not chew his bedding much. His somewhat older housemate has chewed every bed, and was starting in on chewing the Kong when we took it away from her. So I would not spend too much until you see if he likes to chew it up.

If he uses the bed for sleeping, and not another chew toy, then some type with a removable cover for washing is nice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Beds are a dime a dozen. Go to a discount store and buy 2. 1 is a spare. You'll go thru a few in the first 2 years so stay away from the pricey ones.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have not found one yet that my baby moose (110 lb 18 m gsd) doesn't like to eat. Though he has finally gotten a bit better about it.
And now our little she-devil rescue (4 month gsd/husky) has taken to destroying everybody's bed, but her own she leaves alone. At least she doesn't seem to actually eat it.
Go figure

·
Registered
31,355 Posts
I get the beds from TJ Maxx. The cover unzips for washing. I also have a Coolaroo bed (that has a TJ Maxx bed on top). and a waterproof bed that a friend gave me that is huge. I don't see it listed on amazon. Called M-Dreams. That's a tougher nylon material and you can shake it off to some extent.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Jorski Oh yah, delicious doesn't even begin to explain it! What kind of Kong was it?

@Jax08 I was thinking T J maxx too. Do they hold up well?

I'd love to do a Kuranda, but others in the family would rather a normal bed, and I'm fine with that, since I'm not worried about his destroying it. He doesn't chew hardly at all. We can safely have a quilt in his crate 24/7 for him to sleep on no problem.

I'm wondering if I should go for long lasting expensive bed? I mean: will we be disappointed if we expect something expensive to hold up for 8 or so months?

Anyone have experience with LL Bean or Carhartt beds? They look pretty heavy duty as well.

Sorry for so many questions. As you probably know, I've never gone dog bed searching before!

·
Registered
31,355 Posts
@Jax08 I was thinking T J maxx too. Do they hold up well?
Yes. I've used them for years. They are only $30. The cover is worth that much. I have several covers still around long after the stuffing is garbage. The Kuranda beds are nice but the coolaro is so much less expensive if you ahve the room. And if your dad is handy, you guys can make a bed. Google it. There is a video on how to make one from canvas and pvc.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The last two beds we have are from SAMs, one was kind of oval shaped with sides, the one we have now is more rectangular with sides, he likes to rest his head on the end! You can google how to pick a dog bed, I never had thought about to watch how your dog sleeps to choose something more circular, flat, etc. also to measure your dog while he sleeps so you could get a better fit! I know people who just get a baby crib mattress. we had one that felt all comfy and soft, the bed part was in 3 long sections, those felt like it "rolled" under your feet and moo didn't use it! He is old though!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay good! Bunch of good ideas now. Usually he sleeps flat out, so I'm thinking rectangular shaped? We were also planning on getting rid of the quilt he sleeps on and replacing with a crate mat, so I'm going to keep the Kong on in consideration for sure!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts