German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip to California and am considering taking my dogs along. Does anyone here have any suggestions for dog friendly beaches?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I live in Orange County, CA. I take my dog to Huntington Dog Beach. It's crowded (on weekends), but really nice :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you head to San Diego...OB (Ocean Beach) has Dog beach. Cute little community and fairly dog friendly.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I am in nor cal. Santa Cruz has a great dog beach, ask anyone you see with a dog in Santa Cruz they know it. so does Carmel that's a very dog friendly town. Here in Tahoe know a few good beaches on the lake.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I am in nor cal. Santa Cruz has a great dog beach, ask anyone you see with a dog in Santa Cruz they know it. so does Carmel that's a very dog friendly town. Here in Tahoe know a few good beaches on the lake.
Carmel is number 1 as being dog friendly. Many dog friendly restaurants, like Forge in the Forest. Most beaches in the Santa Cruz area are dog friendly, except the city of Capitola Beach, but the town is dog friendly. None of the beaches are legally leash free. Some beaches are enforced and some are not. Generally, the East Cliff beaches are more relaxed and in the Aptos area, south of Rio Del Mar beach towards La Selva Beach.

Santa Cruz used to have a great dog beach below West Cliff and open Lighthouse field until the State of California took over these areas, no local control now, and the atmosphere and vibe has changed, they like to enforce leash laws.

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
What part of California are you going? California is huge.
I was thinking exactly the same thing, and then I scrolled down and saw your post, lol! :wild:

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
I will be going to Long Beach,but will be traveling all over while I am there for a week.
All over California, or all over Southern California? I can recommend Fort Funston in San Francisco, but that's about 400 miles from Long Beach.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I like Huntington Beach Dog Beach, theres also places down by Laguna Beach where it is very dog friendly and dogs have a stretch. I take my dogs to Del Mar with me and have never had a problem on the beach areas there as well.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I just wanted to update this incase anyone did a search. Long Beach has a great dog beach called Rosies dog beach. Its about 5 miles from the HB Dog Beach. I trade off between Rosies Long Beach Dog beach and Huntington beach Dog beach. Both are great and friendly. Huntington dog Beach is larger but Rosies dog beach has always been more fun for us as the people there are much more friendly. There has been a few times AT the HB DOG BEACH were people have had attitudes if your dogs go up to sniff them. They should realize is an off leash beach for DOGS and that your not only going to be sniffed by your own dog. :laugh: Oh Rosies Dog Beach has much better parking although its metered.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
If you come down to San Diego I recommend Fiesta island... Has a 100 acre fenced in area with beach. It's awesome, in fact I was just there! Link to my thread, http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/279378-ollie-goes-fiesta-island-pictures-video.html

Ocean beach is nice but the people there are a little seedy so I tend to avoid it. There's also del mar dog beach but dogs are required to be leashed in the summer time.

Also lots of dog friendly restaurants down here too... There's one a few minutes away from Fiesta island that we frequent. Love it because it overlooks a marina, you can see the water and listen to the seals while you eat. :)

I recommend bringfido.com for finding dog friendly places, I use it ALL the time. :)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Ohhh have fun! I love Cali! But I don't know the dog beaches there...I love the Irvine OC area since I went to UCI.

Good times! C:

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Oh whoops, again I never check dates... Didn't realize how old this thread was LOL... Oh well hopefully someone will find it useful. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but those new to it may find it useful.

Laguna Beach allows leashed dogs on their beaches during off season; usually from September/October thru May/June. I don't remember anymore, but I think it was OK to walk your dogs there during the summer season before a certain time of the day... And no, leashed means "dogs under your direct control." I worked for the city for almost 30 years. One of the constantly reoccurring statements by dog owners is "My dog is on a leash!" but, yes, you have to hold the leash, not let the dog drag it around freely.

There are many nooks and coves along the Laguna coast where it's pretty safe (from AC: Animal Control) where letting your dog run free a bit and play in the water is something one can get away with during the winter and early spring months without incurring the wrath of Khan. In instances like this and you're from out of town and you do get caught, AC is pretty good about letting you off "this time".

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Carmel is number 1 as being dog friendly. Many dog friendly restaurants, like Forge in the Forest. Most beaches in the Santa Cruz area are dog friendly, except the city of Capitola Beach, but the town is dog friendly. None of the beaches are legally leash free. Some beaches are enforced and some are not. Generally, the East Cliff beaches are more relaxed and in the Aptos area, south of Rio Del Mar beach towards La Selva Beach.

Santa Cruz used to have a great dog beach below West Cliff and open Lighthouse field until the State of California took over these areas, no local control now, and the atmosphere and vibe has changed, they like to enforce leash laws.
Gretchen is absolutely right! Carmel Beach is a great dog beach. We used to start on the south end and walk up to the Pebble Beach end and back. The dogs had a great time. The sand is very white and the beach is pretty clean so the dogs won't get into something that could harm them. Just remember as you approach someone with a dog, put yours on a leash until you've passed. Take a little fresh water and Carmel Beach can be a bit chilly. Have fun and post pics. Take poop bags too... lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts