German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local animal shelter had an adoption day and we picked up a little 11 week old kitten. We brought her home Saturday to the great dismay of our dog who is 2yrs and 4 months old. How long does it take to aclimate them to each other? Any hing we can do to make the transition easier? Thanks for the advice in advance....

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I'm not sure if I'll be any help here because I think I have both an unusual kitten and an unusual dog. *laughs*

We recently brought home an 8 week old kitten. Our GSD, Abby, is 5 years old and has been around cats since at least 3 years old, which is when we got her. She does well with them, but occasionally feels like chasing - my cats will have none of that, they'll bristle up at her and she stops.

When we brought the kitten home, we had her leashed and let her sniff him. They hit it off pretty quick. She's actually not very interested but he just wants to pester her. I keep having to rescue the dog from the kitten....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris - It has been a few days now and things are a little better. I hear a lot of grunting and protesting, but my GSD was licking the kitty yesterday which I took as a good sign -better than tasting her..... just kiding... i am hoping the dog will get tired of worring about the cat and leave it alone. The cat doesn't seem to be afraid and we are reenforcing the fact that the cat is now part of the pack and Ollie has to get used to it. Thanks for taking the time...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Haha - have to post

When I brought Shayla - my 17month old home I already had a 3 yr old cat - who Shayla likes to torment but has a healthy respect for as the cat literally chases her out of my bedroom or sits in the middle of the stairs and dares the dog - now plural because I have a 5 month old shepherd now too - to pass. They often change their minds about it.

My son brought home a 6 wk old kitten two weeks ago........well......

My big bad mean german shepherds kidnapped the kitten.
They bust into the bedroom where said kitten was residing and
physically swiped the little grey furball. They hid it in the corner
of the living room where it was rescued from being liked to death by said culprits. Unhurt, wet, unafraid the kitten was introduced nicely to the naughty dogs and told that it was NOT an interactive chew toy after all and returned to it's sanctuary in the bedroom.

Now, since it was Shayla who had tried gently to pick the kitten off my hands the day before I believe that she is the main culprit in this crime.
I believe she carried the kitten downstairs.

Of course the two dogs are now complete partners in crime in my household and nothing is sacred any longer

Kitten wasn't even scared.........it cannot get down the stairs by itself and I was in the office and it didn't even squeak during it's adventure.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a male GSD who loved cats!! During the day, the kittens would bask in the sunlight by curling up in a ball in the dog's food dish. He would carry them around in his mouth and steal them from the momma cat. They even tried to nurse from him. He was a very confused looking gsd. LOL

Also, when kittens/cats were being chased by male cats, they would go running into the gsd's yard and hide under the gsd, you should have heard the hissing coming from the male cats as they tried to skid to a stop and not get eaten by a gsd. LOL

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are both getting along better now. I think the dog is realizing that the cat is here to stay and ajusting acordingly. I think they may be friends in a few weeks...

Thanks for the stories....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts