German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Do you have a crate? I wouldnt leave him tied up in the hallway, this is a perfect time to be using a crate.

When working with both the horse and your dog, you need to make sure your dog knows that YOU are in charge of both him and the horse, and he is not in charge. Basic obedience will help as well, practice anything that might be rusty. Instead of trying to have him learn from the horse to respect him, you need to teach him to respect your horse. Leaving it to the two is dangerous, and either one of them could end up hurt. Don't allow the dog to be within x amount of space of the horse. My big issue with teaching Tessa to respect my horses, was her attachment to me lead to her jumping up on the horses once I mounted. when you're out with your horse, is Barry offleash? If onleash that would complicate things... Use verbal commands as well as your body language to reinforce a boundary. My dogs know the command "back" and that comes in handy here. When Barry gets too close to your horse, tell him a firm NO and to BACK. Use your body to drive him away. Depending on how things go, it might be easiest to start out with another person to help. If you're working alone, it would be really helpful if you're horse knows to stop and stand still, or ground tie. Start out with short sessions and just walking the horse by hand, work up to more complicated things. Like put the dog in a down stay while you're doing something, or riding with the dog coming along. I've had to dismount before to use my body to drive the dogs back out of my horses space. Your dogs should respect YOUR personal space as well, make sure to work on that and it will come much easier as the horses space will just be an extension of yours. The first time I had Tessa and one of my horses interact offleash, she would NOT stop jumping up on him. I was camping with my horses and Tessa and my then bf. I had jumped on Trax bareback with a halter and leadrope to ride him up to the water. My bf had to grab Tessa's collar while I worked on getting my horse to stop spinning and dancing around, not a good situation! But now interactions are much more pleasant. I've taken the dogs when I've gone out for trail rides. I've put Tessa into a down stay to make her wait out of the way while I jumped a few fallen trees, then after pulling up my horse released her. Just remember consistency is key!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.