German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a problem. Barry (our alpha) has some problems to accept the horse in our pack.
He knows this horse from his childhood, and never had any problems with it - it was not his business like any cows of our neighbours. Now, when we go to barn or are walking horse, Barry is just losing his senses and want to keep an eye on horse.
He is not agressive to the horse, he likes it, but he has no respect - horse is very patient with him, but when enough is enough, he kicks (gently for horse but not gently for dog).
At the beginning we had hope that the first kick will do it - but not. Barry just loves to go for a walk with us when we walk the horse, he runs in big circles to be sure that the way is "safe" for us and all that usual job, but when horse makes any step "out of line" Barry is back to "help out" to keep horse on his best beheivior.

Two weeks ago we started to leave Barry inside, but he was so determint so he went through the window, broke glass and with guilty look appeared in the middle of the way. Now we are leaving him on lead tied up in the hallway where he can not see what's going on when taking horse for a walk. But it is just a temporary solution.

Other dogs are doing great with horse, no problems at all - they have respect, and when they run past, they keep the right distance so horse really likes their company and is not spooked.

Do you have any ideas?
Barry has no problems when horse is out by himself on grass - then he is not paying any attention at all. Barry is big headed alpha, I know, it is our fault, but he is very good with everybody - he really tries to help, and never ever was nasty to anybody, he just thinks that he does the right thing, he is on mission.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not know. Thank you for the offer, but I really am not sure about these e-collars. I just want to make old fashion way, so they both will get along well - basic obedience training + to build trust of the dog to horse, because Barry is just too worried that horse might upset us somehow... Not overprotective, as he likes horse, but we just need to build up his confidence that we are big enough to keep horse in line without his help
Sounds silly but actually that's the problem. He is veird alpha, indeed.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far nothing had worked.
Barry is Barry - big head and responsible for all, so by his opinion, he must take responsibility over the horse. So far we lost two windows. The last just few days ago when horse's chain broke, and he went off wondering around. Barry just jumped thry the glass instantly, before we even noticed what's happened with horse. How he had not injured himself, I do not know. And the frame gap is 37X38 cm there - how he was able to broke and jub through in a second? Mystery. The most annoying part is that other than that Barry tolerates the horse great. When horse is "in it's place", Barry has no intentions to chase him or even pay any attention. It was going for past 4 years like that. Cattle (and any other farm animals) are No! and that's it. 100% works. He actually likes the horse.
Now, when we had taken over the horse, Barry is going mad , but only when horse does something "innapropriate" and then the whole training is out of the window
Peter can ride horse, well, Barry takes it easy, great, all goes well, but when on ground, horse just must be on it's best beheivior otherwise Barry goes in. Do not get me wrong, it is just herding instincts taking over training - he is not chasing horse or hunt him, not at all. He just decided that since horse is ours now, it is under his responsibility.
Barry is not very well trained as so far we always were able to set boundaries and he was doing great thinking with his own head between them - like is he is told to, he accepts any stratnger dog or cat on our property/hoise, he is able to "forget" about terithorial things, the same with humans - like we said this is ok, you must accept it and no discussions - so far it worked, but this big scary and dangerous animal - Barry just can not trust our opinion, he KNOWS better. We tried everything - I'm with Barry on long lead while peter works with horse, teaching Barry that he can not go in between, and he listens... somehow. One moment we started to hope that it will be treated, but last window showed that no, herding instincts are stronger. Barry is not doing anything bad, he just runs and turns horse back in the yard, but we do not want even that. Horse is not interested into running away, and do not need be heirded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.