German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is strange, but I believe in the horoscope. And I want to get a dog. I read in this article that a German shepherd is suitable for me (I am Pisces by horoscope). It says that a German shepherd is the best companion for humans. That can, she replace communication with people. It's true? Tell us about your personal experience.
Thank.

·
Registered
179 Posts
No. You need to do a lot of research on the breed. Yes, they can be very loyal and great companions, but that requires a lot more work and training than most other breeds. If you don't put in the work to do the training everyday they can be one of the worst nightmares and are why so many are in shelters. If you want a loving companion that requires less work then get a Lab or golden.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hot take:
1/ German Shepherds are not for everyone
2/ German Shepherds are not for the vast majority of people
3/ German Shepherds are not for a pretty good percentage of people who already own them since they won't or don't put in the work required to make them productive members of their lives and society :oops:

Many people want these beautiful, noble well trained athletes they see on TV or at the park but have no idea of the time and patience that it took to train and raise these beautiful, noble well trained athletes .... I would almost never recommend a GSD for a first dog or even first large dog for instance.

Horoscopes should NEVER be your guide to dog ownership. Your life situation and dog ownership outlook should.

If you are a Pisces who is used to large dogs, committed to training, has the time and resource$ and yard or access to parks/forest/trails and understands the costs of ownership in food/vet bills etc, do you think you're equally suited to own a GSD to anther person who has never owned a dog or always small dogs, lives in an apartment, is unemployed but spends 12 hours away from home every day and has no money for proper care or unforeseens, just because you share a Zodiac sign???

You said it yourself, that sure sounds strange.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me and I clicked the link.
There is absolutely nothing that would convince me to get a poodle.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Wow. I really dislike the mastiff group, and mine told me to get a Cane Corso. It couldn’t be more wrong. Do not get a dog breed because some website tells you your horoscope matches that breed. That’s just crazy.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nope. I have two GSDs right now and both were born in February under what would be the Aquarius sign. They are like night and day. I would not believe what you are reading for a minute. However, ALL GSDs tend to be very smart. BUT as others have mentioned they are not for everyone. They require a lot of training, a lot of exercise and a lot of mental stimulation. They also require a strong leader and companionship. They want to be with their human. I've owned a number of breeds over the years and I must say GSDs are the most challenging so I would not recommend them to a novice. They are however the must rewarding breed to own IMO. I also have had horses all my life and must say that GSDs are a lot like a smart horse that will test a person. If you know how to handle horses, the concept of being "alpha horse", you would do well with a GSD.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Ha, ha, I am supposed to get a Dachshund according to the article. Not in my lifetime.The author doesn't even know the breeds well and resorts to personal opinions like how beautiful they are. There are also not many breeds to choose from. I would ignore the article and do research on the breeds that appeal to you and see if that is the right fit. I have always admired a GSD from a little kid age on but didn't know anything about them until much later. But the breed is coincidentally(?) exactly what fits me. I would have been miserable with a Dachshund and visa versa. Be smarter than the article and hire a trusted trainer for advice.

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
I am Pisces and my GSDs are great companions. They speak clearly, mostly body language. I have to repeat what everyone else wrote...don't get a GSD because of the article. They are a lot of work, worth it but you have to count the cost.
Try volunteering at a shelter and rescue and start to learn the personalities and needs of various dogs.

by the way, Welcome and thanks for the fun article. It's silly but a fun way to open a conversation.

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
my sister, also a pisces, was fond of boarder collies and now messes around with two silly boxers. She likes my dogs but they don't make her heart sing.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
That article is hilarious.
Libra here, and of all the dog breeds that I love and could live with JRTs are not one of them. In fact it's a breed, one of about three, that I really dislike.
Further to that most Libras, myself included, are not super friendly. I don't like humans around me much at all.
I really don't think that horoscopes should be used to chose dogs.

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
I read that and thought it was hilarious too. I was hoping it was all about our dogs zodiac signs, so I looked up Leo for Scarlet. The first thing that came up was “bold, bouncy, and full of fun”. LOLOL I’m dying. Scarlet to a T.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
I read that and thought it was hilarious too. I was hoping it was all about our dogs zodiac signs, so I looked up Leo for Scarlet. The first thing that came up was “bold, bouncy, and full of fun”. LOLOL I’m dying. Scarlet to a T.
Keystone is also very much an Aquarius... but I’ll stop there, lol. One of my favorite signs but they don’t always come across well on paper 🥴

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
LOL!!! I'm a Taurus and It says I should have a Chow Chow. Funny because before our current GSD we did indeed have 2 female Chow x Samoyed litter mates. One lived until 13.5 and the other 14.5. Best dogs ever. I still miss them dearly and it's been 10/9 years since they passed. I try not compare but there are days I look at my GSD and ask her why oh why can't she just channel a little of my Sandy and Sassy. They were so easy going.
But seriously I would never get a dog based on some horoscope prediction.

·
Registered
149 Posts
someone's idea of a joke? I cannot picture me with a newfie. I raised 3 boys so I need noise and dogs doing busy things. I would not know what to do with a calm dog. chaos is the best. I like smart dogs although Duke is proving to be as dumb as a bag of hammers. (oh, but is he sweet and good natured!).

I recommend you spend some time around different dogs and see what you are drawn to.

Duke has become easier to walk since I've been brushing him every day it's not raining. He walks outside and sits down and looks at me with that, 'Im ready for my brushing' look. When I tell him we're walking instead he takes a few steps and sits again. No pulling. 'Course we don't get very far...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts