German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog Agility Research | Exercise Study | Health Benefits

Click above to read the entire article, but here's an excerpt:

Today researchers from the University of Massachusetts Department of Kinesiology released the results from their study of the Energy cost and heart-rate responses of dog trainers during dog agility training. We are here publishing their findings for the first time. This study represents the first ever scientific examination of the physiological effects of dog agility on the human handlers.

Anecdotally, having conducted hundreds and hundreds of dog agility training classes, plus weekly Agility League competitions and private dog agility classes, we’ve observed the sweat trickling down faces, the damp T-shirts and the reddened faces. But we were extremely curious to find out once and for all just what kind of a workout is dog agility?

Turns out, it’s a mighty vigorous one…

·
Registered
710 Posts
For humans? LOL! Well, that would depend on the trainer. I have seen people stand in the middle of the course directing the dog. But that doesn't work very well in all venues and levels.

I love watching the FCI Championships.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love that those are 'large' dogs.... :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm suppose to do jumping jacks while waiting in line? :D

The authors continue their findings by pointing out:
However, the intensity of activity is variable and is not sustained throughout a typical class. In order for participants to improve fitness responses while doing a dog training course additional “human-specific” exercises such as jumping jacks or running on the spot should be encouraged while waiting in line for a turn at the course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts