German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Penny is 7.5 months old now and for the past month or so doesn't want to do her business at all in the yard. She has gone a few times in the yard when she had no other choice like late at night when I need to sleep and she needs to go and I have to take her out and be out with her for half an hour or longer trying to get her to go pee or poop while on the property. She seems to only want to go on our walks, she will pee and poo every time we go on a walk.

Why is she suddenly like this? I don't really mind all too much except when I've already taken her for her dinner time walk (6pm till 7pm) she does her business and then she wont go before bed (around 10pm) so she wakes me in the middle of the night and then wont go at all and she will either come back inside then want to go right back out even after being out there 15+ mins or she will hold it till we go on our walk.. even in the morning I take her for a walk at around 7am till 8am sometimes earlier but I put her outside while I get ready and she refuses to go even after she wakes up! She will wait till we go for our walk... So I'm guessing I should take her for a third walk at around 10pm or so maybe just down the street or something to get her to go so I can get some sleep?

Any suggestions or know why she is doing this?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

What do you feed and water her? I cut my dogs food and water off at around 7:30 or 8pm. Roughly an hour before bed time. Sometimes feeding is around 6 to 7. Water still goes up just after feeding or around 7:30. I also take him out and he still requires some walking and sniffing around before he goes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Maybe she doesn't do her business in the yard because it's part of her "territory"? At least that's what I came up with because my female behaves exactly the same. She wouldn't go and do her business in our garden, never has and propably never will... ;)
But I'm ok with that, I just take her out for a short walk in the evening (around 10/11 pm) - I mean, especially when it's raining I'd really appreciate it if she would just go in the garden, but I don't want to 'force' her because she really doesn't want to do her business there... So yeah, I just take her for a walk...:)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Her feeding is not a problem. She gets fed her dinner at 7pm when we get home from our dinner time walk, she eats her cup of food (Go! Sensitivity + Shine) She does not need to have her water put up this is not a house breaking issue and where it is summer here I am not going to make her wait for water and go thirsty that would be cruel and anyone who does this is also cruel dogs should have 24/7 access to cool fresh water. She gets enough time to sniff around the thing is she doesnt she will sit up on the deck and not even try to do anything, I will lead her down the steps and say "go pee" and she runs back up and scratches at the door to come in and screams (yes it sounds like screaming) and after 15+ minuets of doing this I bring her in and then she whines and cries to go out and then again the same thing... She just does not want to do her business on the property as I said she has a few times when she could no longer hold it, other than that she will wait till we go on a walk...

Im going to assume that shes going to be one of those dogs that I have to walk more than twice a day (4 or 5 times) so she can do her business

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will also mention that at any of my friends places she has no problem going in the yard will whine to go out if we are inside during bad whether but still want to get the dogs together and will do her business no problem at any of my friends and families homes, just not on her "territory" as BoTaBe said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts