German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 5 month old Kota does not like to play with other dogs. When we go to the park, he kind of stands off by himself or wants me to throw a ball for him. But he just doesn't really pay attention to other dogs. When other dogs approach him wanting to play and are "rough" or jump on him or even kind of nudge him, he will bark and nip until they leave or even chase them off. Today we walked to the park with our friend and her two giant Great Danes. Kota walks right next to them and all is good. They all chased the tennis ball together and generally got along. After about an hour at the park one of the Danes threw his leg over Kota and he about tore the Danes head off. As long as there is no major contact he is ok with other dogs. Then a lady came in with a playful lab puppy. The other dogs all charged the fence to check out the "new guy", but not Kota, he couldn't care less. Then the lab puppy approached Kota and Kota chased him off as well.It's like he doesn't know how to play. He is ok with kids, he does bark at them until they let him smell them, but he scares them and me as well. No issues with adults at all. He is signed up for training which starts tomorrow. Any advice? It's kind of embarrassing at the park.

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
Dogs don't require doggie friends.If you keep trying to force the issue he could very well hurt a persistent dog trying to play with him.

It's actually a good thing that he prefers not to interact with other dogs and would rather focus on you.There are many threads on this forum about dogs reacting loudly and aggressively towards other dogs.Consider yourself lucky:)Being able to walk and play with him and he's not distracted or reacting badly among strange dogs and people is fantastic!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never thought of it that way, thanks for the response.

Being in the military, I have been around a few working dogs and just thought they were the way they are because of the training. But Kota has that same no non sense mentality. I had a GSD long ago, but we lived on a farm and didn't have to worry too much about other people or dogs running around.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
True stuff Dogma. Wrecks - I came across some old GSD books and in one of them - and I thought it was interesting and have not read it anywhere before;

along with basic explanations of the origins of the breed and it's primary shepherding duties - it was stated that one of the qualities sought after was their ability to prefer and bond to the shepherd and that lifestyle- not one of pack and community - but one of total connection with it's master and not needing much else..... other than a job to do. Just kind of interesting. The term "Aloof" is used much with this breed - just what is behind that?..makes you wonder.

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
You're very welcome.We need pictures of your boy when you get time!
Where are you stationed?My son is at JBLM.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Kelpie is the same way. Which goes along with that Shepherding quote above. They are sheep herding dogs.
He's like the fun police. If other dogs are playing too rough, he goes over to break it up. He doesnt play and he doesnt want to. He would rather just be with me.
Its just your dog's personality. He is not aggressive at all, just not playful with dogs.
Its ok. Just know that's who he is and dont bother with the dog parks. He probably would rather not go there.
My Kelpie's happy place is with me on a hike.

I think there is this stigma that if your dog doesnt play with other dogs, there is something wrong with him.
But thats not fair. He's just introverted. ;) and thats not a bad thing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, makes me feel a lot better.

Dogma13, I am currently stationed at Dover Air Force Base as an Army Liaison between HRC Fort Knox and the Port Mortuary. Been in the Army 19 years and ready hang it up...lol.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
Thanks guys, makes me feel a lot better.

Dogma13, I am currently stationed at Dover Air Force Base as an Army Liaison between HRC Fort Knox and the Port Mortuary. Been in the Army 19 years and ready hang it up...lol.

Thanks again
Nice!You're almost to the magic 20!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts