German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i haven't posted this because i didnt want to get bashed for not exercising my dog, but she just isn't really into it
When she was a puppy, i would take her for walks, play fetch constantly and do OB and she still had energy
but over the past year she really doesn't do much
she literally will sleep all day if i let her
we will play fetch in the house until she gets bored and wants to chew on the ball
i take her outside to play fetch and after a couple throws she quits bringing the ball back and will just drop it and stand there and would rather sniff.
(i have her on a 30 ft lead when doing this because our complex has a "must have dog on leash at all times" rule)
i will take her for a walk.. about a mile or so and after that she is done and passes out on the floor.
i give her a bully stick or something to chew on to work her mind a bit.
do some small OB
but for the most part, she would rather lay infront of the fridge or the door and sleep.
she gets free roam while we are gone and when we get back she is excited and ill take her for a walk around the complex and it seems to curb her needs.
if i pick up her ball and throw it she will chase it, even if its a get up and walk and pick it up. she used to have a really good ball drive as a puppy
is this normal?
but when we go places, its a different story.
she gets very excited especially at training. we have tried to get some of the energy out before hand but she still gets really excited wherever we go.. (except the vet)
i feel like Im failing in the exercise category, but she is very lean 22-23 in at shoulder and 63 lbs, nice waist, etc.
she eats 3 cups a day of acana pacifica plus add ins
im not sure what is wrong
is this normal?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
How old is she? If she is about 5 years or older I would consider this to be normal. Was she always like this? Some GSDs are just lower energy than others. Bloodlines make a huge difference also.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
She turned 2 this past march. Up until she was about a year and a half she had tons of energy and she was go go go, crash, go go go, crash. Etc

ETA: but she has never been the type of dog that needed a 5 mile walk just to tire her out either. I've always felt she had less energy than what everyone was saying their dog had.
A simple game of fetch 10-20 mins tires her out as a pup.
Going to the dog park for an hour or 2 tired her out the whole day and so did going to OB training and agility.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
She turned 2 this past march. Up until she was about a year and a half she had tons of energy and she was go go go, crash, go go go, crash. Etc

ETA: but she has never been the type of dog that needed a 5 mile walk just to tire her out either. I've always felt she had less energy than what everyone was saying their dog had.
A simple game of fetch 10-20 mins tires her out as a pup.
Going to the dog park for an hour or 2 tired her out the whole day and so did going to OB training and agility.
That seems kind of odd. Have you taken her to the Vet? Maybe you should get her checked for any illnesses. It might not be anything serious, but it wouldn't hurt. Some dogs can develope Anemia from eating certain foods, which can make them tire easier. Other than that, I would say that maybe she's just the layed back type. My dog was the same way. He's 2 years old now, and can lay around the house almost all day. But if he does, the next day he is very hyper and needs a couple hours of hardcore fetch.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's been over the past few weeks for skin issues and they did her blood work a few months back during her check up and said all levels were normal.
She will get into a playing mood and wanna play and I can get her to play if I initiate it but she will lay around for hours.
Sometimes I don't think she sleeps at night though.
I hear her moving around all the time and around 4-6 am if I move she's got her nose in my face like " oh are you up? Because I've been staring at you for hours"

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Some dogs just don't like to exercise. It's just the way they are. If she's been seen by the vet and given the all clear, I would still take her out for walks, but wouldn't push it much more than that.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Trying to make the exercise more exciting can also be a big help,but if she really isn't into it that much then there is nothing you can do. I guess it's a good thing that you have such a calm dog at 2 years old:).

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
She sounds just like my boy, who is the same age. I spent a LOT of money at the vet having blood work, thyroid levels checked, etc, and never found anything. He'll go if you want him to (we do overnight hiking trips, etc) but he's totally content to lay around all day. We've tried everything with the diet (he has severe food allergies) and he does very well on a limited ingredient, duck or venison based diet, but it hasn't seemed to affect his energy levels at all. He'll get pretty wound up for certain things, but overall he's the laziest dog I know. I'm really curious to see if you find something!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine is really calm to. She's ready to go if we are going somewhere, but wherever we go she is still calm. She's just happy to be wherever I am. She loves to cuddle too. I think they do spend a lot of time awake at night, I have caught mine several times wide awake, staring at the door. I think its part of their job to be on alert. I guess if they are up all night that could explain why they sleep during the day.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Well, it is sure great to read of other GSDs who don't need 5 mile hikes, 20 minutes of fetch and so on. I was beginning to feel that I had the only lazy laid back GSD. He is content with morning 1-2 miles walks, (longer when the weather is colder), short session of fetch/tug, a couple of blocks in the afternoon mainly for socialization and heeling practice. I did notice though that he gets bored then lags behind if I keep taking him on the same old walks. I've learned to take him different places and that helps to keep him motivated and he enjoy the walks more.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My oldest has always been a tad lazy. From puppyhood, heading into old age.

I remember when he was a pup, I would throw his ball. He would run after it, then just flop down. Now I throw the ball and he looks at me like "yeah, right. No way I'm I chasing that thing. You chase it"

Toys...he's never been interested in them.

One thing about my lazy dog.....I have to watch what he eats closely. He will tend to gain weight a lot faster than my others b/c he's less active. He's also a lot less active in the summer than the winter. He does love to play in the snow.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm jealous.
LOL!

Some dogs just don't have that drive and are very mellow. My dog is somewhat like yours but would get into dive mode if I worked her into it. I've made use of the command "Ready?" to get her really amped. Maybe you can try that. Use the word during the most exciting moments and she'll learn it.

i.e. My girl loves car rides so before I open the door, I say "Ready?" in a really exciting tone and she gets so focused. My girl also loves to play "Find it" so I use "ready" to amp her up even more. It might work for your dog.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The funny thing is, she loves toys, if I get on the floor and engage her, it's on. I say, " you gonna get that ball?" all excited.. If I engage her, I can really amp her up. He loves tug, and when I let her win, she will prance around with her head bowed, reminds me of an Arabian show horse lol. Then she will come back for more.
Maybe she can tell my moods, because sometimes when I'm studying I'll throw her ball without any emotion and after a time or two she goes and lays down as if she knows I'm kinds busy. She used to cuddle a lot, now not so much, she would rather be by herself unless I switch rooms.
With her, I can bring any toy home and she will go nuts and play by herself until she either breaks it or wants me to play
She's just special I guess lol :)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our dog likes to go to the park and lay down and be a watch dog. Your dog may be up all night too. We have cats and a outside cat door. Our current dog and our previous dog like to watch which cats come in and out and are on the look out for stranger cats and raccoons. She sleeps a lot during the day.

Our previous dog had low thyroid. Before she was diagnosed, she hated to walk, only liked going to new places, and could not tolerate the heat well. But I doubt your dog has that, usually they gain weight and lose some of their hair, especially on the tail, thins out.

I'm thinking your dog knows it's needs. Many people overwork their dogs and they end up with joint problems and injuries.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
If I am not engaged with my dog, he will be asleep. He just got his IPO1 and people always laugh when I tell them that he's the absolute laziest dog in the world. If we're doing something outside or inside, he's ready to go. If I'm just sitting on the couch doing nothing, he's asleep.

I've got nothing to complain about here! ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the same problem. My girl is lazy as can be. Even during training after 30 min she plops down and lays there. My vet said some dogs are just lazier than others just like humans. Medically she's very healthy as I thought something was wrong. We have tried everything to get her to want to play for more than 5-10 minutes but it aint happening.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts