German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD will not eat when we go away for a couple days and unable to bring him. We either board him at a dog day camp where he is free to run around the majority of the day or we leave him at home where a neighbor usually stays around for most the day to keep him company. He will not eat (assuming due to stress since he gets stressed out pretty easy) until we get home. Figure he will eat once he gets hungry enough and haven't been gone for more than 3 days. Any tips/hints how to solve this?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
It may help if you invite the neighbor to dinner or lunch or even just for coffee and have your neighbor feed your gsd at that time and you all eat together.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I have had boarders that wouldnt eat for a couple of days but all started eating at least on day three. I have yet to see a dkog intentionally starve itself.
Some are picky eaters but they will eat every couple of days, just enough for self preservation.
What I usually do is to give them five minutes. If they dont eat, I remove the food. Next meal, they get half the portion. If they refuse again, next meal is reduced again. ;)

They will eventually start eating unless there is something significantly wrong with the dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts