German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trainer says that it's very rare indeed for a GSD to like water.

But our Zeus has loved it from the moment he first saw a small water hazard on an abandoned fairway.

I wrote the breeder who has a small 1/4 acre lake on the property and she said absolutely every one of her 15 breeding GSDs swim and absolutely love it. She won't let the puppies in anything but a wading pool for safety reasons as the "grown up" dogs are pretty aggressive in the water towards one another if she throws a ball in to encourage them to take the plunge.

So, I was just wondering who widespread the fear or aversion to water is among GSDs?

LF

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, I don't know really, because I'm on my first GSD and she is still very young. BUT, she sure does love to play and splash her water bowl around. :D

I hope to introduce her to a kiddie pool once it warms up enough, as we live near the beach I'd love for her to be a beach bum like me! :)

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I've had 4 GSDs and they've all loved to swim. This puppy goes beyond that - he loves to jump off docks, but none of my others would do that.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
All of mine loved to swim. Well, Oscar died as a puppy so we don't know about him - Toby took awhile to convince but Linus, Cyra, Grim and Beau were just naturals at it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm hoping mine loves to swim. He fell in the pool once and avoided it for a while. He is getting more curious now, but not enough to fall in again. I'm really hoping once it gets warm enough and he sees the other dogs swimming he'll want to give it a try. The right way this time.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Gunther hates the water. We go to a park that has a lake and I walked him to the edge to let him explore but he saw the water and immediately turned around and tried to run away :( bath time sounds like I'm murdering him

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine does not care for most water. She will put her head in the shower and I've seen her in the lake for a short time, but she prefers not to be in water:(

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I took Delgado to a beach last summer, he was 7 months old at the time. He had never really been around water but I put his harness and his 4' leash on and he followed me straight in. His feet left the bottom and he just chugged away in a circle around me, no issues at all. He played for hours and had a blast, he jumped and played and swam like a fish

Funny thing is, I bought him a little kiddie pool to play in and he'll splash a little in it but has no real interest. Go figure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Our puppy stuck his entire head into a deep water bucket and we saw nose bubbles!!! he spills his water dish and lays down in the puddle... His bloodline is water obsessed i hear =) our swimming pool will be his soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My puppy fell in the pool last night and freaked out, but it was 25* out and the water was very cold so needless to say he was not happy and left the pool area alone the rest of the day.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
785 Posts
I swear Gaia has a built in radar for water sources. Puddles, bath tubs, shower, pools, lakes doesn't matter if there's water involved she's guaranteed to make a beeline for it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Minka loves swimming

Minka is my third GSD and they all have loved the water. My first female swam like an alligator, she was such an efficient swimmer! Minka is a good swimmer too however, I don't have the access to ponds like I did with my other two.

These are a few of my favorite photos taken when Minka was just a year old:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Archer's a terrific swimmer and regularly swims back and forth across the lake, jumps into canals and attempts to herd ducks with aplomb. It's great exercise too. Bah, I have failed to attach photos as I am a Luddite.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts