German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wolfie's tail does this when he gets excited. I never saw any of my other gsd's tails do this. It quivers at the tip of the tail too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My boy, Max, does the same thing --- especially if he is "posturing" for another male dog.
(I thought he was the only one. LOL)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Tail up is a position of dominance, not good in the house unless he is acting protectively. It is a million-year-old posture that all dogs (that have the tail for it) use. If you have other GSDs I am surprised you haven't seen it. My female does it when she is being protective or sees a cat or a dog she considers a threat.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Molly's tail does it all the time, sometimes its down.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is chasing shadows in the kitchen in these pics but he also does this playing ball or any game plus when he sees other animals

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Well, I've been wrong before........... maybe he has what's called a gay tail.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I noticed that Dakot'a tail does that when we're playing fetch. I worried about the gay tail too, but I've been watching and it doesn't do it all the time. I was wondering why she did it.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
hum it could be that they're just expressing their excitement when they're playing. My GSD only does this when he's in a dominate state like when he sees an exited dog or cat.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Tail up is a position of dominance, not good in the house unless he is acting protectively. It is a million-year-old posture that all dogs (that have the tail for it) use. If you have other GSDs I am surprised you haven't seen it. My female does it when she is being protective or sees a cat or a dog she considers a threat.
You have to take it in context. While it can be dominance.......my Glory B's tail is up like that alot when she's just being happy and joyful.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
That is a really curly tail! Mine can't curve theirs like that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Does seem like excessive curl, my GSD's tail could not curl like that.

When she is alerted her tail goes straight up with a slight curve and the haunches go big.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Don't think this is quite right. Dog's put their tails up and high for lots of reasons.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
usually its a dominant gesture. but Riley does it all the time. when he's excited, happy.... i sometimes think its just comfy for him.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is a really curly tail! Mine can't curve theirs like that.
I have had many people comment on how long his tail is. Maybe because it's so long, he can get that extra curl out of it. LOL

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
There is a big difference between a happy-dog-tail and a I-am-the-boss-around-here-tail.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo's tail is like the crystal ball into emotions. If he is content, relaxed or tired it's down. If he is excited, happy or wanting to play, it's up. When he first starts to eat his tail is up - by the time he is finished it's down.

If I am letting him back into the house and his tail is up, as soon as I open the door I'll say, "Inside Dog!" which means to remain calm. If not, he has the zoomies and runs through the house sliding on rugs and whipping out on the kitchen floor. If his tail is down, he'll amble into the house, relaxed and calm.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Abby curls her tail just like that but only when she
is in barking alert mode. Hackles up...tail curled...big bark.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Wolfie's tail does this when he gets excited. I never saw any of my other gsd's tails do this. It quivers at the tip of the tail too.

thats the " i have a question" tail

1 - 20 of 42 Posts