German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had a dog that reacts to the TV the way my GSD does. Anytime there is another dog on the TV she barks at them. Actually just about any animal sets her off.

So here is the interesting part she can recognize when there is a TV show or commercial with animals in it. We used to watch a TV show where a cat walks across the screen in the credits. As soon as the music started for the TV show she was alert and walked up to the TV and stared at it waiting for the cat to show up and then barked until it left the screen. Last night a commercial came on the TV and Santa walks out and she jumps to attention and starts a subtle growl. My wife and I were looking at each other wondering what she has against Santa. Then all the reindeer walk out and she went off. I guess she recognized the commercial and new the reindeer were in it.

Anyone else have a dog that is this reactive to TV?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not at all

Our girls act like it does not exist. Of course it is high, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
They don't bark, but they do pay attention to shows with dogs in them, especially puppies. I had a program about wolves on one day and Sam lay on his bed, watching and listening to the whole thing pretty intently. I've heard that with the newer types of televisions, dogs can see them better.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My GSD watches TV. If people are arguing or fighting on TV he growls and barks low under his breath if you know what I mean. And of course , anything with animals in it.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Just if there's a doorbell that rings on the TV, both dogs ears perk and they stare at the door and then relax a few seconds later when they realize it's not real.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My pup is very into television at times. I'll see him chewing on something sometimes, and he'll have his eyes rolled up in his head so he can watch TV. He watches lots of things, not just animals. He watched a good bit of Pride & Prejudice with me 'smirk'.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yes. Lisl reacts to dogs barking, sirens, and cats. She's ready to go when she hears a siren and a GSD barking at the same time.

She also reacts to the Farmers Insurance commercial when they sing the jingle at the end.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
My German Shepherds don't but one of my Cairn Terriers is awful, she particularly hates the shaggy dog from the Travelers Insurance Company, she can be in another room and hear the music start and she makes a beeline to the TV jumping up and snapping at the screen, it's actually annoying after awhile as I watch a lot of animal shows.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Something would get her attention from time to time, mostly sound (surround) until that annuity commercial came on where they sing Opera. OMG, she would start howling, it was the funniest thing. You couldn't laugh or look at her or she would quit. We could be in the living room and if that commercial came on you could hear her howling in the back of the house. Dang I miss that...

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My dogs aren't allowed to watch TV. Too much violence.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My boy will look at the TV every now and then but he hasn't barked at it yet. The funniest and somewhat of a drawback is when I watch NCIS and he hears someone on the show say his name/Dinozzo. He will look at the tv like, "Yes?"

·
Registered
179 Posts
I never thought mine cares the TV so much until he established that he hates gecko in Geico commercial. He barks the crap out of that green lizard.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
There is only two shows that gets their attention Too cute and k9 cops Bella will bark and pace for a few minutes..

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
When Lara was little she used to bark at ALL the dogs on tv, but now she has sort of learned to differentiate between tv dogs and real dogs, I don't know how.

My brother was playing Far Cry 3 on our big tv last time I went home, attack dogs tried to kill him and they were snarling and stuff, Lara kept trying to rear up and bite the tv. She doesn't do that anymore.

However, every time she hears a knock on a door in a tv show she does her alert barks :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine barks at doorbells, dogs, and clickers (if I'm watching YouTube). We've worked on her quiet cue so she's not as obnoxious any more, but Halloween and the stupid kitkat commercial about killed me. It had knocking and doorbells multiple times, plus I think a dog barked once ugh! Now, though, I can watch training videos and, as long as I let her look at the screen, she'll just do a head **** and maybe an under-the-breath bark lol!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Raina doesn't pay a lot of attention to the TV but if the show K9 Cops is on I have seen her looking at the TV when the dogs bark and run after someone. Other than that, only quick motion on TV gets her attention. She has watched Too Cute with me a couple times and gets more interested when the puppies bark. Pyrate used to lay in front of the TV and watch with me. I miss that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts