German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I’m the proud owner of a whiner. My first whiner...lol. Never had one before. He’s not a barker unless someone’s at the front door. No nuisance barking from him, thank God.

But he whines if he’s hungry and I’m late with diner. He whines when he REALLY has to go potty and I’ve forgotten. I’m not really upset with those two because both are my fault. What I’m trying to get a handle on is his excitement whining. I usually wait him out until he’s quiet. However, there are some times I can’t because I’m pressed for time. That’s probably why that one is not cured yet. lol

·
Registered
32,468 Posts
German Shepherds are incredibly intelligent, there ability to communicate with us is amazing. They bore into us with their eyeballs. They touch us with their nose. They may grab a hand and then use body language to tell us we need to follow them. Their ears are full of expression. And, they vocalize. They have different barks for "C'mon let's play!" and "WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT!!!" and "OMG!!!! You're HOME!!!! I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!!!"

The grump and groan and grumble to tell us they are not comfortable with what is happening to them. Sometimes they will groan when they LIKE something like a belly rub.

And then there is the whining and crying. If you aren't getting there fast enough. If something is not fair (in their perception). When I lost Arwen for 19 days, I got her back and after the high pitched barking and she rushed toward me, and I got her in the car, and she lay her head in my lap, she whined all the way home. She got her Susie back and all was right with the world, so what do we do? Yep, we whine. Perhaps she was telling me all about it.

So, yeah, mine whine.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Oh yes there's the "mom my toy is stuck under the bureau again, please help" whine...I'd know that one anywhere.

After the whiner went to a lot of trouble to get it stuck under there. My record number of favourite balls accidentally stuck under the cabinet is 5. Does any other breed do this?

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
Oh yes there's the "mom my toy is stuck under the bureau again, please help" whine...I'd know that one anywhere.

After the whiner went to a lot of trouble to get it stuck under there. My record number of favourite balls accidentally stuck under the cabinet is 5. Does any other breed do this?
:smile2: My Whippet did this. Shoved a toy under the couch, then helplessly looked at me. It was too tempting to ignore him. I asked, "what is your problem?" and then he would lower his head and look under the couch. Then we both looked under the couch and he was so relieved when I rescued his ball, took it and jumped on his chair with it, placing the ball neatly next to him, looking content. Oh, how I miss that dog.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My GSD only whines when there’s an impending car ride, his favorite activity ever. However my Dobe GSD is the most vocal dog I’ve ever met, and by talking to both GSD and Dobe people I’m not sure which side is responsible. Maybe both? I can tell by his voice whether there’s a toy stuck under something, he has to go out, he’s bored, wants to play, ready for dinner, ready for bed, there’s another critter under the house... you get the idea.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 18-month old male is the most vocal dog I have ever met.

He makes noise constantly. Whines, little barks, loud barks. He has no issues expressing his feelings. Upset or happy, he will let you know.

When we come home or his human uncles come over for a visit (his fav people), he lets out this weird whine bark for a few minutes while greeting everyone.

If he wants any of his toys we keep on top of the fridge he will whine and bark while sitting next to the fridge.

If Odin wants something. He will tell you.

His sister Layla isn't as vocal. She will bark at you if you don't say hi to her when you come home. And ever now and then she lets out a LOOOONNNG whine when shes laying down and no one has paid her any attention in a while.

I never knew how expressive dogs could be until my little crazies.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
That's a myth! Urban legend, or something. These dogs talk, growl, bark, howl, yowl, and everything in between!
I am beginning to wonder if this is encouraged by those who have the vocal dogs.

Hans is super quiet, except when someone is at the door.

Rolf is in training, so I can’t say yet. Whines and barks, especially at mealtime, but he is a puppy and I’m ignoring the fussing, giving him what he wants only when he is quiet.
Will know in a year if this works, and if Hans is quiet because of character or training.

·
Registered
32,987 Posts
It's very much genetic. I've seen relatives to my girl, along with her siblings, and they all sound alike. I saw it at 8 weeks and started to cap her. It can be helped but vocalization is very much genetic.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
It's very much genetic. I've seen relatives to my girl, along with her siblings, and they all sound alike. I saw it at 8 weeks and started to cap her. It can be helped but vocalization is very much genetic.
I was told my dog's sire was nq'ed out of the utility ring a few times for whining. And wouldn't you know my dog has a whining problem while working that I did not address properly when he was young.

It makes me feel slightly less a failure to know his dad had this problem too

·
Registered
32,987 Posts
I was told my dog's sire was nq'ed out of the utility ring a few times for whining. And wouldn't you know my dog has a whining problem while working that I did not address properly when he was young.

It makes me feel slightly less a failure to know his dad had this problem too

The more focused Faren is, the less I hear it. Last time we were at protection training I started to shut it down. Whining leaves you sitting on the sidelines until you shut up. Shutting up gets you a grip. That leaking wastes energy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ruger is my whiner, talker, grumbler. He still uses his puppy bark when he needs to go out. Duchess is my quiet girl. She has mastered the "look" and lets me know that she wants to play by dropping her tug toy into my lap until I get the message. They both howl at sirens and when we gather to celebrate the Shabbat on Friday evening, they love the sound of a shofar blowing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting read, with some surprising information. My GSD's have all had some degree of whining, but not varied, like the barks. My current female only seems to whine on occasion when she's in the truck and it's usually because she was so excited to go, she, um, forgot to go. She can get worked up when her energy level is especially high and provide what I will now call (thanks to many posters in this discussion) her Wookie imitation. Then there are the various barks. Like many, she has at least three. A higher pitched, faster bark she used when excited. There's an almost baying bark, complete with the head thrown back, that's reserved for squirrels or other yard invaders. Lastly, she has the stranger danger, deeper and longer bark I would classify as almost a traditional GSD vocal that is all business. It's the one that can intimidate.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Of my current two, one is much more prone to whine, especially in the toy stuck under sofa, TV, armoire, desk, whatever scenario.

When she was happy, our late GSD would make a noise that was kind of a cross between Scooby Doo's signature noise ("arrroooo") and an elk bugling.

My quieter dog, in the profile pic, is constantly watching things when she is not asleep. You can think you've sneaked in some attention to the other dog, but then you look up at the top of the stairs and she's looking right at you both.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I thought my Della was a talker, whiner, yodeler, this pup puts her to shame. Oy Vey.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts