German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Might need more exercise.

I always ignored whining. Like toddlers, they quickly learn that whining gets attention, or what they want. I always told my kids, “Whining gets you nothing.”
Same goes for the dogs.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have a moaner/groaner and a quiet one. The difference is funny.

Reactions: readaboutdogs

·
Super Moderator
9,228 Posts
I’m surprised at the first two responses... I came prepared to answer for the entire board with a big ol Yes!!!

4 out of 4, every single one of my gsd fosters and all of my friends GSDs have been whiners - not because they are trying to gain anything. It’s just a vocal breed. None have been big barkers, but they’ll make every other sound.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My boy makes every noise he possibly can, he is very vocal. He has different barks for different situations and the same goes for his various types of whining and all the other moans and groans and everything in between that he does. If he started talking complete sentences to me I don't know if I'd really be all that surprised because he is pretty close to it already. He has no problems communicating and is not shy about it at all!

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
Scarlet is a rattle mouth. She’s been a talker since before I got her, and makes every noise you can think of. She’s like a big furry basenji. Yesterday I was listening to a basketball podcast in the car, and she started wailing to the music they play in the open of the podcast. Music stopped, she shut up. She’s such a weirdo.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm like the opposite of @Sunflower! :)
Whenever my dog whines, I try to figure it out.

He is usually silent, so his whines always mean something like, "I have no more water" or "Where were you? I couldn't find you?"or "I need to go out".

He also has a method of standing there and staring at me with a slight head tilt (telepathy). The thought he is beaming: "Isn't it time for a walk?!"

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
My current duo is very vocal. Both parties. Prior duo, yes, vocal. Current one incredible whiner, one moaner and barker. Prior duo - oh please let's just whine - they would bark hard enough to rock the truck when it was parked. So yes.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Nitro will smile at me; or stare; or get up real close and lean on me and stare. It usually means, "I've got a really great idea, let's go outside and play frisbee!" He doesn't know I don't find it as awesome an activity as he does.

If he wants a walk or car ride, he goes and waits near his leads. If he's outside and wants to come in, it's usually a quiet, polite bark. I respond with, "I'm coming!" If he wants to play and brings me a toy, but I say no, he drops and toy, turns and walks off. At times it feels like he can't believe I said that. We definitely have a communication system going.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
My gal dog is very vocal and she has a high pitched banshee sound she makes when she is excited. My big boy makes grumbles like a Wookie from Star Wars. Whining usually means they are concerned about something so I check into things. Consistent whining from impatience is never rewarded. It just annoys me way too much to put up with that.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My pup is a vocal guy. He's almost three months and he grumbles, huffs, has an array of different barks and of course, whines.

When he whines, it's usually when he's trying to communicate something whine worthy in his mind. He's basically complaining about something. The big one now is not wanting to settle during times he's supposed to settle. He's exercised and comfortable but he'd rather me kennel him for "off" time. He just needs to learn to settle out of the kennel too. So I ignore that whining.

But if he's vocal, I usually try and figure out why. He is trying to communicate after all, he just needs to learn what is worthy of whining to me.

OP. When does your dog whine and is it causing an issue for you?

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Our males have been the biggest whiners, our girls are generally quiet. If the girls want something they use a “look”, sometimes times with expressive eyebrows. If they need outside they’ll sit square in front of you with the “look”.

Ollie whined all the time and had a signature 3 whine sequence and the kids would mock him to no avail, he just kept on. Ranger whines in the car and it drives me nuts, other than that he has an assortment of communicative sounds that are more tolerable and can be entertaining, it’s as though he’s carrying on a conversation.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The older my pup gets the more vocal he gets. When he was under 1 he was very quiet - the sound of his own bark startled him! Now, at 2.5 years old, he whines if there are 2 or more people in a room and no one is paying attention to him, if someone is in the passenger seat of the car (he always sits in the back anyway, but wants to be a part of the party) and he whines/howls in the bath.

He also howls along with sirens, has a high pitched yip when he wants you to play outside, and an array of moans and grumbles and sighs when sleeping or resting.. luckily, he's still not much of a barker other than a one or two bark warning

Reactions: readaboutdogs

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have what I would call a "situational" whiner. She's generally very quiet unless she's alert barking. She will occasionally "leak" drive when she's ready to work and I haven't released her yet. However she does sigh and grumble as a reminder that she exists lol

I can't stand incessant whining. I don't know if any of y'all have ever watched Jenna Marbles videos but her dog Cermit would drive me insane

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
enjoy hearing about everyone's whiners, moaners, woofers!! Lol! Always made me smile with my boys!
Moo isn't too vocal, he'll still woof at me when he wants to go for his walk, and gets up and makes like one "grrrr" to go out in the morning, if you don't get up then he'll let out a bark!

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Oh yes there's the "mom my toy is stuck under the bureau again, please help" whine...I'd know that one anywhere.

There's "mom, I urgently need bathroom", I'd also know that one anywhere.

And "mom I am SOO hungry please hurry" this one is quite pitiful sounding.

My boy is such a talker...he growly talks like I think of huskies doing. He has quite a language of growly sounds and some other higher pitched talking sounds that I wouldn't quite describe as whining. One I call Ma- rooo and other Ga-rawr....yeah....I know..... Lots of love growls and grumbles. He is very vocal. Oh and the "but I don't waaaant to...." if he is being restless and I tell him to settle....like in the crate in the truck waiting for a run at a trial or something. He will lay down with a sound of obvious annoyance and impatience. Starts as a whine and ends as the unmistakable moaning sound of someone doing something they don't want to do but know they must.

My girl used to shriek with happiness any time we played one of her happy games like obedience.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts